Zumba vs Tae bo?

demurebutterfly
on 9/17/11 5:46 am - Lima, OH
 (I lost 134 pounds in the first 6 months after WLS and gained 27 back in the past year and half, even with that I still feel the need to move and YES dance, I never wanted to do that before).  I want to start a Zumba class , and I already have tae bo boot camp.  Which one has people has success with getting into shape faster?

Beverly

butercup
on 9/17/11 6:24 am - Kennewick, WA
I would imagine that it's the one that you feel like continuing on with. If you like one or the other more, do that one. When you have your heart rate in the fat burning zone, it doesn't matter what activity got you there.

Choose the one you like.
MacMadame
on 9/17/11 7:04 am - Northern, CA
Actually the Fat Burning Zone is a big myth and encourages inefficient exercise.

The reality is, you will burn more fat if you burn more calories. Working out at a higher intensity burns more calories. Even if more don't come from fat right that second, the rest will come from fat when your body rebalances your energy stores, usually at night when you are sleeping.

For example:

You workout for 30 minutes in the "Fat Burning Zone" and burn 100 calories. 60% of them are from fat. That's 60 calories from fat. But, if you workout harder and burn 200 calories, maybe only 35% of them are from fat. But 35% of 200 is 70. Hence, you've burn 10 more calories of fat just to start with.

Then, when your energy stores are rebalanced, you'll burn even more fat because you have more non-fat energy stores to replace because you burned more energy stores to start with.

Um, I hope that last part made sense. I did in my head!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

butercup
on 9/17/11 7:12 am - Kennewick, WA
Good to know.  I still say go with what you like.  If you like it, you'll continue to do it.
martitalinda
on 9/18/11 5:53 am
 Makes a lot of sense ... I was going to respond earlier but got sidetracked reading your blog ... AWESOME!!! JUST AWESOME!!! I am totally impressed!!!! going back and reading more....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

MacMadame
on 9/17/11 6:54 am - Northern, CA
You have to find something  you love to do or you will eventually stop doing it. That's really the most important thing.

As to which one burns the most, I would bet they are pretty equal. A lot of it will be which one you can do with the most intensity and that's going to vary from person to person.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/17/11 7:59 am
 actually, on the question of long term benefit I would say the best thing you could do is buy really cute clothes for whatever workout you enjoy, thus making it even more fun.

and shoes, of course.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

MacMadame
on 9/17/11 4:04 pm - Northern, CA
I see you take the Mini-Mac approach to exercise. 

laurak712
on 9/18/11 8:20 am - New Braunfels, TX
I do too.  I put more money into my workout clothes than my real wardrobe.  I can't help it that under armour is so expensive, lol.

Laura

Height 5' 7

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/17/11 7:36 am
 absolutely do the one you enjoy the most - seriously.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active