WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT ARE FAILING PRE-OP

bigcoop
on 9/22/11 2:19 am - CA
I know i am not the only one. The success stories are fine but not really helping me. Would like to hear why people believe they are not having success pre-op. My biggest problem is me and I know this. Boredom and will power. I am also lucky enough to have a wife and grandaughter who love me as I am. This is great but not helping. I haven"t given up, still losing slowly but to slow to feel I am succeeding. What is your story ????
Elizabeth N.
on 9/22/11 3:13 am, edited 1/3/12 2:27 am - Burlington County, NJ

Danny'sWife (Kylie)
on 9/22/11 3:36 am - murrieta, CA
I am having the same problem. I am about 6 months post op and i feel like i am falling into my old ways (not exercising, eating the wrong foods, etc.) that's why I joined this site to try to get some inspiration and support and not fall back into my old ways. I know how you feel and it is hard changing.... i am still struggling soooo bad........
bigcoop
on 9/22/11 9:07 am - CA
Welcome Kylie, I wish you well on your post-op journey. Please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss your struggles with someone who is in the same fight
AnneGG
on 9/22/11 3:56 am
It is blessed hard to change old habits, isn't it? It takes intention, attention, and perseverance- and forgiving yourself and getting back up on the horse again and again and again and again.

One day at a time, often one moment at a time.

I find sticking to the basics essential- I keep my program as simple as I can, and it has become something I just do. No excuses, no justifications, no wiggle room.

It also helps to have people I am accountable to, and to have a coach and mentor in addition to other types of support.

I also keep old fat pictures of me on my refrigerator and my bathroom mirror just to keep my awareness up.

Just do it- you deserve to be thin and good lookin'!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

mel1964
on 9/22/11 4:25 am
if you are talking about a diet you are placed on before surgery, its hard to break bad eating habits! support and knowledge are your best weapons, i actually started gaining weight during the pre-op diet and cried and worried that i couldnt do this then i couldnt do surgery, then i mourned and worried about all the food i wouldnt be able to eat and would have to give up, then worried about what if it didnt work, i did my research, spoke to the nutritionist and said a prayer, one thing i did i made up my mind that i had to do something instead of collect prescriptions everytime i went to the doctor because of my obesity. so i excerised, stayed on a diet and i lost some pre-op weight, but ive been in this space before, i knew i needed a more permanent solution and i am happy with my decision, you have to decide what solution you want to use to resolve your issues with obesity, and if it doesnt work, dont give up, keep trying and dont wait for a stress filled doctors visit, hospital stay or health scare to get you to change your life.

bigcoop
on 9/22/11 11:20 pm - CA
thank you for this reply. When I wrote this post I was hoping there would be some othes who were willing to respond about their efforts and experience in hope that it may give me and others things to consider. I have had some success in my journey but I have hit a stall and believe I need to change things up. The one constant thing is my exercise.
poet_kelly
on 9/22/11 4:30 am - OH
By "failing pre op," do you mean people that were not able to lose much weight before having WLS?  Um, that would be all of us post ops here, I would think.  If we were able to lose weight without surgery, we would not have had surgery.

I can tell you why I was not able to lose weight pre op..  I was hungry A LOT and it took a LOT of food to feel full and satisfied.  I think my metabolism also was not working quite like it should.  When I was able to lose a little, it took so long that I would get very discouraged and depressed.  I would feel hopeless and then it was too hard to stick to a strict meal plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nurse55
on 9/22/11 4:13 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Kelly,

Your answer made me feel so much better. I have thought this so many times but thought maybe I was the only one. THANK YOU!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 4:53 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I started my WLS journey back in 2009. I went to the WLS clinic last Oct/2010 and I was in the high-percentile of weight loss before WLS. I had lost 65Ibs since the initial referral form was sent in. I l left feeling very positive.  I went back in Dec/2010 and I had a 1 kg gain (2.2 Ibs) I wasn't too concerned about it honestly. It was enough for them to decide that I wasn't a good candidate for WLS. The doctor told me to call them in 6 months if I have at least maintained or lost weight. He handed my medical file to take to the desk. I also told them back in October that I have a compusive eating disorder and was working on it. I felt like the rug got pulled from under my feet.

( I was seeking out of province wls as my province at the time didn't offer it. They have a program in place now but I do not meet their criteria as my BMI is 58 and they only take those with a BMI under 47)

Early this yr I called the WLS clinic and asked them that I want to withdraw from the program as I fell into a deep depression.  They told me that if ever I want to get back into the program to have a new referral sent directly to them instead of intake,so that I could get seen earlier. Which was nice on their part.

I have since decided not to have WLS and I have since lost 100Ibs. I'm doing it on my own and I have never in my life lost that amount of weight consistantly. I have a better handle on my eating issues and realize that will be a lifetime issue for me, but I'm learning ways to deal with my head issues instead of turning to food. 

Thank you

Linda

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1423 views