2 wks post op..feeling terrible

RoyzgIrl
on 9/30/11 8:26 am
Hi, I am new to this site, I am desperate for some answers and I know you all can help me. I am almost 2 weeks post op Roux n Y Gastric Bypass. My diet was advanced on Monday to include soft proteins. My main problem is that I don't seem to have any, make that ANY strength/energy. I am so incredibly weak. I am trying to get up and get around each day but I am overwhelmingly tired. Secondly, I can't seem to find a balance of what, how much, when I should be eating and drinking. Do I constantly sip, if so my stomach is sick. Do I wait and drink every 15 min? How often and how much am I supposed to be eating, because as far as I can tell I can only get about 500 calories a day including the protein drinks. Is this the right amount? I am overwhelmed with all this and quite frankly I am struggling emotionally as well. I wanted to return to work on Monday but I don't see how this will be possible given the cir****tances.
Any and all input is appreciated.
Christy
Philly_dart_girl
on 9/30/11 8:43 am - PA
I had the same surgery on 8/15 and  Monday will be my first day back to work.  I had a severe problem with nausea.  I just found out yesterday tha****er was making me sick.  I have to take some thing (I use Arnold Palmer half iced tea and half lemonade) and dilute it with water. 

I understand how you feel.  There were many days where i just wanted to lay down and die.  It does get better!!!  I know when people used to tell me that, I wanted to go after their jugler but it does get better.  Don't push yourself.  You just had major surgery and they altered your insides...rest until you feel up to it.  It may take a bit but you will get there.

I had a hard time eating and drinking.  I really didn't eat much at all for the first 4 weeks.  I mainly did my protein shakes and drinking.  Yogurt, sf fudge pops, they were what I survived on.

I was in such a severe depression.  Still am but getting better more everyday.  I wish you the best and will be here if you need to vent or have anyt questions.

Jenn
Philly_dart_girl
on 9/30/11 8:44 am - PA
the **** is water.
RoyzgIrl
on 9/30/11 9:01 am
thank you so much for replying to my post. I will just have to try and be patient. I really wanted to get back to work, but I am goin to have to accept it may not happen quite yet and just work on getting better. I don't want to go for your juggular and it does make me feel better to know I'm not alone and that things WILL get better Thanks again.
Christy
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 9:38 am, edited 1/3/12 12:09 am - Burlington County, NJ

Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 9:36 am, edited 1/3/12 12:09 am - Burlington County, NJ

DawnVA
on 9/30/11 9:43 am, edited 9/30/11 9:56 am - VA
Though it's a good idea to ask folks here, you should be talking to your doctor and your nutritionist right away.  Before leaving the hospital -- actually before the surgery -- you should have been given clear guidance on what to eat, how much, how often, etc.  So I would contact your doctor immediately...there's no reason you should have these questions without his/her help.

Of course, none of this means that folks on here can't help you, I'm just constantly surprised how many doctors aren't giving patients FULL treatment.  I don't believe there's any way you can return to work on Monday, you need to let your body recover.  Get your liquids in before you think about the food.  Protein drinks give you some protein AND liquid, so try to do those as best you can.  Get your short walks in every day (very important for healing, getting your energy back and preventing blood clots).  I believe at Week 2 - 3, I was still eating protein shakes and a few bites of sugar-free pudding and some really thin oatmeal, I think.  Except for the shakes, I wasn't going near any other proteins, they are too much for your to get down at this point.  But your doctor should be giving you that guidance as each situation is always slightly different. I hope you feel better REALLY soon -- and you will!  :)
AnneGG
on 9/30/11 10:05 am
You might want to give yourself longer to recover before returning to work. It took me 3-4 weeks before I felt strong enough.

Do the best you can with fluids- they are essential, protein not as much at this point. And keep walking as much as you can- that will build your strength.

Feel better soon!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Apple-Jax
on 10/2/11 9:19 pm
sorry you are feeling down,  i agree, count how much fluid you are getting and protien/vitamins, i would guess you are low.  also i agree to call your dr/NUT they are there to help and encourage you.  also to be ure you dont have any tarry stools or low blood count from anemia/blood loss. please take care!!

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/