Hello, New to OH!

harmerel194
on 10/2/11 1:35 pm
Hi Everyone, My name is Ellen and I'm new to OH! I'm currently in the process of heading towards my WLS. I have my seminar and first appointment/screening with my doctor on October 12. I was just wondering what i should be expecting from the seminar and from the inital appointment and screening! I'm very excited :D
gods_girl67
on 10/2/11 2:48 pm - Wasaga Beach, Canada
RNY on 03/27/12
Hi! I am new to this process too so I can`t offer a lot in the way of what to expect other than the orientation seminar. At my Centre (in Canada), the dietitian did the seminar. She gave a general overview of: our current digestive system, the sugery and the digestive system after surgery, what to expect in terms of diet for the first 6 weeks post-op, the importance of exercise, possible complications, process from referral to surgery, approximate time frame and an opportunity to ask questions.
I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday.
I too am excited and ready to get on with it---i know how you feel!

referral: aug 2011; general orientation: Sept 26, 2011; surgeon appt: Oct 5, 2011;
GB Class: Oct 18, 2011; SW & RN: Oct 20, 2011; Dietitian: Nov 14, 2011;
Dietitian: Jan 9, 2012; Surgeon appt: Feb 2, 2012; Optifast start: Mar 6, 2012
Surgery Date: Mar 27, 2012
AnneGG
on 10/2/11 10:17 pm
Welcome!!!

Have a great appt- find out lots and ask lots of questions!

You also might want to explore this site- lots of good info and support here!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MsBatt
on 10/3/11 1:28 am
Which form of WLS are you planning to have? I see your surgeon doesn't do the DS, and I strongly urge you to research it as well. Since he doesn't DO it, he probably won't give you complete, accurate info about it.

I see that he DOES do the BPD. Please know that there is VERY LITTLE similarity between the BPD and the DS, although some may try to tell you there is.
MARIA F.
on 10/3/11 1:59 am - Athens, GA

Welcome to OH. And good luck with your WLS!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

harmerel194
on 10/3/11 4:12 am
Thank you all. I'm hoping to have the RNY surgery. But I haven't done much research on the sleeve. I will have to looking into this and keep considering all my options!
KateGal40
on 10/3/11 10:33 am - MI
Hi Ellen!  I am pretty new here too!  I am a little further along in the process than you as I am already scheduled for surgery and yes, I am quite excited too!  I feel like this surgery is all I can talk about these days,...I sometimes feel sorry for my friends and family but I am grateful that they put up with me :))   Good luck with your appt next week.  Let us know how it goes!!
ktharp89
on 10/3/11 12:51 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
 Welcome to OH! Congrats on taking the courageous step to have WLS!! I would suggest you read ALL about the RNY, Sleeve, and DS surgery to see what is best for you. The three surgeries are very different and it is so important to be educated. This is such a great place to ask questions and get support. Always ask questions!! The seminar will be interesting! You will get a lot of info. At the seminar I went to the surgeon spoke a lot and then a few people who were at least a year out spoke. It was interesting and it put my husband at ease with me having the surgery.

Good luck to you and be sure to update us!
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

harmerel194
on 10/3/11 11:39 pm
Thank you everyone, I'm very glad that I found such a great place! I've been doing a lot of reading about which type of surgey that would work best for me. My Dr. Does not offer the DS surgery, so I haven't really looked into that much. I'm very excited for the seminar and initial appointment! I'll let you all know how it goes!
Most Active