Insomnia...Anyone else?

erica_starks
on 10/3/11 8:35 pm
Prior to my surgery (August 2010) I had some sleep issues like sleep apnea and small children to wake me in the middle of the night, but those were pretty much resolved for the last few years with the CPAP and my youngest, now 7, sleeps great.  Since surgery, I have had 3 bouts of insomnia where I wake up in the middle of the night usually around 1 or 1:30 and don't fall back to sleep until 4AM or later. The bouts usually last about 6 to 8 weeks.

It's really effecting my work and affecting my attitude. It's also making it harder to get motivated to get up at 5 to go exercise.

I did attend an insomnia course a while ago and do try to the tips from that. Same bedtime routine, same bedtime, wake up around the same time even on the weekends. No caffeine in the day and no TV before bed.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing post-op.

AnneGG
on 10/3/11 10:53 pm
Yup, I have chronic insomnia, and it is a pain.

I wish I had something constructive to offer besides sleeping pills, but I don't. I only take them when I have something big the next day. Melatonin is an idea. Also, I use a white noise maker, which helps.

I'll be thinking of you tonight and sending some sleep vibes your way...

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Dave Chambers
on 10/4/11 12:18 am - Mira Loma, CA

Yes, sleep issues bother most post ops. I took sleeping pills and had to use a CPAP prior to  my RNY.  I still take sleeping pills post op, but now I'm a "very light sleeper".  Little noises see to wake me up easily.  If I take Melatonin or Tryptophan with my nightly sleeping pills, I tend to sleep better most nights.  Some post ops in my support groups find sleeping tends to be better by drinking warm milk at bed time, or taking a warm bath just before going to sleep.  I've also tried some "white noise" generators, with some luck with those too.  These emit noises like birds, crashing waves, "static", etc. and can either be used with ear buds, or an audible "clock-like " device on the side of your bed. These usually have timers too, so you don't have them on all night. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

So Blessed!
on 10/4/11 1:06 am
Anyone else experience this kind of thing post-op. 

Yep 

Ladytazz
on 10/4/11 2:22 am
Funny you should mention insomnia.  Last night was one of the worst I have had in a while.  I take Ambien and I actually went downstairs to see if I had taken it from the pill container.  It felt like I didn't take anything.
For a long time the Ambien helped but it has been less effective in the last several months.  I would fall asleep but wake up several times in the night/morning.  Like clock work I would be wide awake at 3, 4, 5am.
For some reason I was very itchy last night, too.  Not a rash or anything, just annoying little itches that kept me up.  I took some Benadryl and I finally fell asleep.
I am going to see my PCP soon and ask about a different med.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

LJ1972
on 10/4/11 12:45 pm - FL
high protein diets perk up the brain... try complex carbs or protein with tryptophan (peanut butter, turkey) about an hour before bed.
Re: the routines - I had insomnia before surgery and developed a routine even to which body wash / shampoo I used (lavender for bedtime, citrus or such for waking up).

I am the oddball postop - I sleep like a log now!