Question re: Pain Killers

Purple Passion
on 10/10/11 10:24 pm - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with

Good morning, friends.  I haven't been around in quite a long time.  I sincerely hope that everyone is doing well.

I recently (9/23) had bilateral knee replacement surgery.  To say this surgery is painful is an understatement.  While I am regretting it at times, I know that I will be better in the long run and I will be able to get back to being active and enjoying life.

My surgeon has me on  a long lasting pain killer (Oxycontin, 10 mg) every 12 hours and then Percocet (5-325) every 4-6 hours.  I don't think they are working well for me.  As an RNY patient, would I malabsorb these pain meds?  Is there something that might work better for me? 

I am going to call my surgeon this morning, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks!

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

Richbehr
on 10/10/11 10:29 pm - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I was on the same combination last november when I had my tummy tuck and they both made me really nauseous.

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Purple Passion
on 10/10/11 11:27 pm - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
That's part of the problem as well, Rich.  Can hardly eat, I'm so nauseous.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

4catz
on 10/10/11 11:33 pm

You could ask for the liquid form and ask for an anti-nausea med as well if the liquid also makes you nauseous.  Oxicontin makes me sick, so I usually take oxycodon.  I do get off of it as soon as possible, however, since it can be addicting.

Dave Chambers
on 10/11/11 12:56 am - Mira Loma, CA
Pain meds can make some patients have nausea, but not everyone.  My mom used to get sick from Demerol given after surgeries. No matter how many times she told nurses NOT to give her that med, it never seemed to be noted on her chart. So every time she has some type of surgery, she ended up with Demerol and was sick for 2-3 days post op.  You might speak to your surgeon to see if you can take something to alleviate the nausea with this medication.  Possibly Prilosec or something else taken prior to the pain meds may help, or they may lessen these pain relief from these meds.  Check with your bariatric surgeon and knee surgeon. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sharyn S.
on 10/11/11 4:20 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Your mom should have been telling the DOCTOR that the Demerol made her sick, not the nurse.  The DOCTOR writes the orders, not the nurse.  If the DOCTOR only wrote orders for Demerol, then that's the only medication the nurse could administer.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

k9ophile
on 10/11/11 4:38 am
 A patient can refuse to take a medicine, you know.  Even if it's adminsitered through an IV.  That's why I always ask the nurse what's being given to me so I can refuse it.  Or I have my husband there to help if I'm too out of it to respond.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 2:11 am, edited 1/2/12 9:35 am - Burlington County, NJ

Gina1013
on 10/11/11 2:11 am - Canton, OH
 Ohh..I feel for you with the knees! I had mine done almost 2 years ago...ouch!

If the OxyContin is extended release, it is my understanding that you will malabsorb it...If it IS an ER, than you could ask for the IR (instant release) I was on Opana IR 10 mg and got more relief than I did with the OxyContin.....or, if you are on an ER type pain reliever, maybe a patch would work with you, like Fentanyl.

Good luck:)

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 4:04 am - Santa Cruz, CA
How about the liquid Lortab?  I keep some on hand for those times (fortunately few) that can't be
helped with Tylenol Gelcaps.

good luck!
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1545 views