Gallbladder surgery

Emelinda D.
on 10/18/11 10:24 pm - Winter Haven, FL
  Hey everyone! It feels like I havent been on here in forever!! Too bad I gotta get on here with bad news. Sooo, I am having gallbladder surgery on Thursday and I am TERRIFIED! I am honestly more afraid of having this surgery then I was when I had my gastric bypass surgery. I think the reason why I am so scared this time is because when I had gastric bypass surgery they put a trachea in my throat and I am so scared I am gonna wake up and not be able to talk. Another thing is I saw from a post on another forum a while back that having gallbladder surgery is worse then having gastric bypass cause of the pain. I can handle the pain but just the thought of me not being able to talk again for 2 weeks or maybe not ever again scared the hell outta me!  The only bright side I can see at this point is when I had my gastric bypass done I was almost 450 pounds and now I am 225. I am so hoping that since I lost so much weight they won't have to put a trachea in.

So, if anyone on here has had gallbladder surgery, please let me know about your experience. I am so scared and I dont wanna not be able to talk or go walking with my kids on halloween. Thanks so much everyone. I greatly appreciate any encouragement or info I get. 

Amy Smith
on 10/18/11 10:40 pm
I had my gallbladder out post RNY and I did have a trachea, but woke up wiht a sore throat, but that was all.  The srugery was on Saturday and they discharged me on Sunday.  I was allowed to return to work (I'm a teacher) on Monday if I really wanted to (I had been out 4 months with RNY complications so I really didn't want to miss another day.)  
The pain was not bad at all, uncomfortable, but not much pain.  By the end of the week, I was fine and walking normally!  My surgeon said it could have been out patient, but I have a bad reaction to anethesia so he wanted me to stay in another day. 

Relax, things will be fine!
AnneGG
on 10/18/11 11:42 pm
I had my gall bladder out pre-surgery and it was a piece of cake compared to RNY. Haven't missed it, either.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

So Blessed!
on 10/19/11 12:39 am, edited 10/19/11 1:08 am

My recovery from gallbladder surgery was much easier than from RNY.

EDITED TO ADD:

"I think the reason why I am so scared this time is because when I had gastric bypass surgery they put a trachea in my throat and I am so scared I am gonna wake up and not be able to talk."

Your trachea is your windpipe, Emelinda.  The proper name of the tube that you meant is called an endotracheal tube.   They will have to intubate you in order to give you anesthesia gas.  That little balloon cuff at the bottom seals it so they can control how much air goes into your lungs.  It also helps protect your lungs from fluids going into them if you should happen to vomit.

BUT they will have a much easier time getting the tube down this time because you are so much thinner!   A little bit of a scratchy throat is normal, but it'll go away in a couple of days. 

Try not to worry.
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 10/19/11 5:32 am - Belleville, IL
I just had my gallbladder removed and 3 internal hernias fixed about a month ago... It was EASY-PEASY! Much LESS painful and quicker healing than the RNY. (Probably because I  am so thinner compared to when I had the RNY).

It was Same-Day-Surgery for me so I was home in my own bed that night. Heck, they didn't even use stitches, just the surgery supr glue.

As to the intubation tube? Heck you are already "out" when they put it in, you don't feel it and are NOT aware in any way when they take it out. The worst you may have is waking up with a "dry scracthy" throat (like a mild, mild cold). It QUICKLY goes away as soon as you sip some water or ice.

Relax, GB surgery is a piece of cake and so many of us have had it done.  My "worst" problem from GB surgery has been horrific constipation. Other than that everything is easy...And no, the pain was a LOT less than RNY.

Warmly,
Jackie

walterswife
on 10/19/11 6:00 am
Take a deep breath.  Everything is going to be fine.  I had that surgery in May...............and like some of the others have said, it's a much easier surgery than WLS.  The surgeon took me off from work for 2 weeks but I felt well enough to return after a week.  I can't even remember how my throat felt.

Just relax.  You will be fine.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active