Liver Shrinking Diet

finchy
on 10/26/11 8:21 am - IL
Does anyone know the rules behind this diet?  Is it low carb, low sugar, or both?  I am not seeing the scale move much (but it's only been 3 days) and it's got me thinking I'm choosing the wrong foods... though they are foods that are helping me feel less deprived.  For example, I thought I could eat crab chunks, but in reading the label just now it says there are 3g of sugar per serving and 15g of carbs.  There is no fiber, so you cannot remove that from the carb count.  I feel like last time (this is a corrective surgery for me on Tuesday) I was told I couldn't net over 50 carbs a day or something, but by eating that package today - which has 2.5 servings - I realize I consumed nearly 40g of carbs... and ~8g of sugar.  Sigh.  It's been hard not eating bread or cereal... but without the weight loss it feels so wasted.  My doctor's instruction sheet just says you can eat unlimited amounts of lean protein.  It does not specify carb counts.  So did I mess u*****  Thanks!
Highest Ever *Surgery* Current * Goal
            289 *281.6 *249* 170

Karleigh B.
on 10/26/11 8:33 am - CA
RNY on 11/01/11 with
I am on the pre op / liver shrinking diet right now.. I am on the Optifast diet.. I have 3 protien shakes, 1 protien bar, and one protien soup by them a day.. and then clear liquids.. that is it.. and i am droppin weight pretty damn fast..Look into something like that.. it seems to really be working for me. 
"If we lose, then it was worth fightin for. If we win, we only live to fight again" 
       Cee-Lo Green

rhondalee
on 10/26/11 9:34 am - OH
RNY on 11/01/11 with
My doctor says I can only have low-fat yogurt, puree cream soups, no sugar jello/pudding and runny cream of wheat/rice..I started this on the 18th and I am supposed to do it for 2weeks pre-op as well as 2weeks post op
MsBatt
on 10/26/11 9:43 am
What you're really trying to do is to burn off the glycogen stored in the liver, so you need to eat a high-protein, low-carb diet. (And sugar IS a carb. *grin*) I don't know if there's a specific number of carbs you need to stay below, but I'd avoid as many as I could.

These crab chunks---where do the carbs come from? Obviously they're not pure crab meat...
finchy
on 10/26/11 11:35 am - IL
Thank you all!  I guess I am not sure where the carbs come from in the crab!  They are Louis Kemp and I didn't really read the label because I thought it was a no brainer.  I couldn't even guess... unless it is completely manufactured crab.  Strange.
glzgowlass
on 10/26/11 12:44 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I think it's processed.  Mostly pollock with a tiny bit of crab and sugar and potato starch among it's other ingredients.  This is why this nation is in the mess it's in obesity wise.  Consumers often think they are buying something healthy and somehow the manufacturers manage to take something that should be healthy and totally mess it (and us) up.   Makes me mad.

Don't worry, though.  Just make sure you look really closely at the labels from now on and you'll be fine.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

finchy
on 10/27/11 4:37 am - IL
yes, i need to pay closer attention and notice that it said 'imitation' and that messed it up.  i knew it tasted too good. :)
glzgowlass
on 10/27/11 11:53 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Yeah, they emblazon the package with "healthy" on it and hope you won't notice.  I even read that some restaurant's "grilled chicken" has already been injected with butter before it's even delivered at the restaurant.

The book is "the end of overeating"  by a guy named Kessler who got people from the food industry to talk to him becuase he is a former head of the FDA.  I really need to dig that book out again and give it another read.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Father Don
on 10/27/11 1:49 am - Charleston, SC
Here is what I learned:

any extra calories (what we don't do not burn in activity), is initally stored in the liver as fat.  It is stored there because it is more readily available to be converted to energy (glucose).

If the liver stores are full, it tries to store in Muscles.  If those stores are full, it just get placed on the body as fat cells, which are the last to be used.

This is why we all have Fatty Liver Disease - there is way too much stored vs. being burned off.

You burn off the stores in the liver, it obviously shrinks.  when it shinks, it makes it easier to move and work around in laproscopic bypass (or band) surgeries.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

finchy
on 10/27/11 4:38 am - IL
this sounds very logical to me.  thanks for sharing.  :)
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1452 views