Let's talk about skewed or unrealistic expectations. Vets of all stages, help newbies please.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 8:55 am
Re: the skin. I half-thought that when I was in my 20's and lost 100lbs+. What a mindfuck it was back then.. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/28/11 12:03 pm, edited 1/1/12 12:29 pm - Burlington County, NJ

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 5:41 am
I always thought that life would be perfect if only I were thin.   Well, now I am thin and life is far from perfect.  In fact, I know for a fact I was more content when I was at my heaviest.  Now, my life is wrought with different complications, for which I was not prepared~Specifically:
~I don't get hungry now and have to eat on a rigid schedule to avoid dramatic episodes of hypoglycemia.
~I hate eating.  Eating sucks.  All the joy is gone.  Almost everything makes me feel icky.  I eat to live now. 
~I need to exercise.  I don't exercise.  I wonder if I will ever exercise.  I work 45 hours a week and have three kids, two of whom are teenagers.  If I get up at 4am, maybe I can exercise but I like to sleep too.  Plus, I need the structure of organized exercise but always seem to be cash-strapped.
~I traded my diabetes for anemia which makes me constantly tired. 
~My weight loss is causing a multitude of self-esteem issues for my obese husband and daughter.
~People think I am "different" now that I am thin.  WTH?  Truth is, their perception of me has changed with a negative slant.  In their minds, thin=***** 
~The harsh reality is tha****er causes weight gain, sometimes hormone related, sometimes potato chip related.  So does poop.  I weigh daily but do so at my own risk.  Sometimes I don't like what I see but what I see is normal.
~Nothing is forever.  I know the statistics.  I don't want to be one, but the likelihood is there.  If I want to stay at my present weight, it still comes down to calories in and calories out.
~I still feel fat.  I probably need therapy but struggle to spare the time and the cost.
~I want to punch anyone who says this is the easy way out in the mouth.
Heather :o)
on 10/28/11 11:10 am
On October 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, Healthy Nut J. wrote:
I always thought that life would be perfect if only I were thin.   Well, now I am thin and life is far from perfect.  In fact, I know for a fact I was more content when I was at my heaviest.  Now, my life is wrought with different complications, for which I was not prepared~Specifically:
~I don't get hungry now and have to eat on a rigid schedule to avoid dramatic episodes of hypoglycemia.
~I hate eating.  Eating sucks.  All the joy is gone.  Almost everything makes me feel icky.  I eat to live now. 
~I need to exercise.  I don't exercise.  I wonder if I will ever exercise.  I work 45 hours a week and have three kids, two of whom are teenagers.  If I get up at 4am, maybe I can exercise but I like to sleep too.  Plus, I need the structure of organized exercise but always seem to be cash-strapped.
~I traded my diabetes for anemia which makes me constantly tired. 
~My weight loss is causing a multitude of self-esteem issues for my obese husband and daughter.
~People think I am "different" now that I am thin.  WTH?  Truth is, their perception of me has changed with a negative slant.  In their minds, thin=***** 
~The harsh reality is tha****er causes weight gain, sometimes hormone related, sometimes potato chip related.  So does poop.  I weigh daily but do so at my own risk.  Sometimes I don't like what I see but what I see is normal.
~Nothing is forever.  I know the statistics.  I don't want to be one, but the likelihood is there.  If I want to stay at my present weight, it still comes down to calories in and calories out.
~I still feel fat.  I probably need therapy but struggle to spare the time and the cost.
~I want to punch anyone who says this is the easy way out in the mouth.
" WTH?  Truth is, their perception of me has changed with a negative slant.  In their minds, thin=***** "

The skinny ***** phenomenon needs to be addressed more. Us "skinny *****es" have a lot to offer as we have been successful, we need support groups as well, and it hurts to feel snubbed and know the reason is bc you look good.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Nic M
on 10/28/11 6:07 am
Several well meaning people told me that I'd better be prepared to "poop my pants" nonstop after I got WLS. 

I was kind of tempted to say, "What makes you think I don't do that already?"

Turns out, I did NOT poop my pants nonstop after WLS. So, yay.

I was told the Lapband was "less invasive" and "safer" which turned out to be so far from the actual truth that it's almost ALMOST laughable.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

A_NewFuture
on 10/28/11 6:24 am - Saginaw, MI
 GREAT Post thanks for posting

With Gods help I am going to beat this!  

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 6:40 am
1) I will lose to a healthy BMI with the LapBand even though I started with a BMI of >60
2) It will be easy to stop eating after 1 cup of solid food
3) I will consistently drop 2 lbs or more each week after surgery
4)Once the weight comes off, it won't creep back on
USAF Wife
on 10/28/11 9:05 am
I think my main ones are directly related to your #7, but these are the 2 that I see the most of on here.

That mystically, magically all the people(be it your spouse/partner/parents/childre/co-workers/supervisor)  who you've allowed to treat you like **** will turn around and worship the ground you walk on because you're skinny.

Your self-worth, self-esteem will mysteriously reappear and you will not ever have a "fat day" or see a single "flaw" within yourself.

People told me I'd change. That I would become a different person. Fortunately, I never allowed my pant size to define my existence, and my core personality, ethics, morals, have all remained the same from a size 22/24W to a size 2. Nothing about me changed except my pant size. Scout's Honor.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Lifebeauty
on 10/28/11 9:15 am
Thought when I lost weight it would always be noticeable.
Was sure beyond a doubt I would reach goal weight the first year.

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

200 PoundsGone
on 10/28/11 9:16 am
Wow, I see a lot that I assumed as well.  Mainly that I will loose XXX amount of weight by this time frame and my mission shall be complete..

* I will not have saggy skin

* This one has to be my favorite.. I will not get pregnant early post-op.

* I will always take ALL of my vitamins.

* Being smaller will make things in life easier for me.

Wow this is actually awesome to do.  To actually sit down and type this out makes me thing about a lot right now.  I am 6 years post-op and I must say I am aways amazed @ the power of this tool when it is used correctly as instructed.  Even though some things did not turn out the way I had planned and or expected I am forever grateful for all the good and the bad this journey has placed in my life. It has made me a better person as well as a stronger one.

Come follow me on Instagram @200poundsgone
HW: 420.. Maybe more
413 (7/14/2005
)
260 (6/10/2010)
260 (09/28/2011)- No Weight Loss but the inches are dropping OFF *ZUMBA BABY*
204 (06/02/2013)- In the BEST shape of my life. Addicted to FITNESS

Most Active