Outrageous Editorial - I'm mad!

Rudie2
on 10/30/11 1:28 am - South Sound, WA
I am very upset by the attitude of this editorial - the author has no sympathy, empathy nor understanding of our problems. Especially in the light of the new study of hormones working against us. Here is the link:
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/oct/27/rob-woutat-overweight-overeaters-should-pay-for/?partner=popular

Sorry to say it came from my home town paper.

Rudie
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 1:57 am
 Yep its pretty wild ... the funny thing is  I see her point too  .  I WISH i could have a lower  health insurance premium (  and life insurance premium )  because of  my lower bodyweight ....  

Obese people  need and deserve  help and overall I think the  costs associated with bariatric surgery have been proven to be far less than the eventual costs of obesity- exacerbated  health complications .  

I do wish that there was some kind of meaningful financial benefit to keeping the weight off   though because  I think people DO respond to financial incentives .

And its only fair when U ARE devoting the time to exercise and spending  much more on healthy food that U get a bit of  it back as a tax credit or reduced insurance premium .  

Imagine if  people  got a tax break for raising non-  obese children .   We MIGHT  just have a lot  parents CARING  what their kids were  eating , encouraging them to exercise ratherthan veg and watch tv and  as a result  helping them  NOT to become overweight and obese  shortened- lifespanned adults .

Unfortunately many people  care for  their own pocketbooks far more than they  mind   their children's futures .  

poet_kelly
on 10/30/11 2:41 am - OH
I think there are financial benefits to keeping the weight off.

I used to have to order clothing online because it was too hard to find my size in local stores.  Now I can shop at Walmart and thrift stores.  Where it used to cost me at least $30 for a pair of jeans, for $30 at the thrift store I can get three pair of jeans and five or six tee shirts.

I spend less on food now.  A lot of the junk food I used to eat all the time was expensive.  Plus when I go to restaurants now, I often get two or three meals out of my entree.

Even if you you have good insurance, being obese can cost a lot in health care expenses.  Every time I go to the doctor, I have a $15 copay.  I also have a copay for prescription drugs.  Getting healthier does save me money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sunbunnyqt
on 10/30/11 2:27 am - FL
Yes, I thought the piece was pretty harsh. I am not sure what she said about tobacco taxes being a deterrent either. There are still a lot of people that are out there smoking (especially among young adults).

Obesity is a disease. It is a slippery slope to make a leap the author makes in this editorial. What's next people with AIDS (their risky lifestyle choices), other substance abusers (alcohol, drugs), manic depressives (lifestyle challenges handled poorly). It's just not a well thought out position. I hate to think where she stands on cancer patients.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/30/11 3:05 am
I disagree with the author's reasoning, which is like many people's: Obese people are obese solely because they eat any- and everything.  The basic argument is faulty, and I will be emailing the author and the editor about this.

The fair comment especially stung because I have never eaten that crap at the fair. The author makes it sounds like we are slavering hounds who can't control ourselves.

We had a dust-up at work about this recently. Our employer has decided to impose a surcharge on tobacco users and one of my coworkers then said that the company should do a study and find out what costs more to treat: tobacco use or obesity (except she didn't use the word obesity).  I found that particularly offensive because I have nothing but empathy for tobacco users. I used to smoke, and I know how hard it is to quit tobacco. She, apparently, has no empathy for obese people.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 9:43 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Besides the harsh column, I found the intolerant and ignorant comments absolutely breathtaking.
Krazydoglady
on 11/2/11 8:43 am - FL
Differential health insurance costs for obese people and smokers are already in place or coming to a workplace near you.  It's not theory. Additionally,  husband's employer is giving cash incentives to people for achieving and maintaining a normal BMI, taking an annual health assessment, etc. 

It goes beyond just healthcare costs.  MO people are far more likely to take sick leave and tend to be less productive. There are a host of studies.  MO obese women are take 3 times as much sick leave as compared to the average worker.  Lost productivity and absenteeism are very costly as is health insurance.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1091 views