How many Calories 1 Year Post Op??

mrschriscross
on 11/5/11 12:17 am - Oswego, NY
I have been hearing so many different things on how many calories I should be consuming at 1 year out. I am down 105lbs and still have 35lbs until my goal. I was told by the Nut that " Calories depend on your level of activity. If you are moving a few days a week you can eat a bit more. If you are not, calories should stay under 1,000-1,100, protein based meals of course. Snacks should also be protein based."  I have also heard that other people that are 1+ year out that they were told they should be getting 600 calories? 
Am I suppose to count my protein drinks in with my calories? My weightloss has slowed and I want to kick it back into gear. I don't exercise, I do work 3x a week (2 4hr shifts and 1 8hr shift) and I am on my feet on the go the whole time as I work at a convience store. So I am not sure what I am burning while I am doing that. I am looking into getting a bodybugg so that will help in determining what I am burning at work.
So if you are 1+ years out how many calories are you getting each day?
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Mary Catherine
on 11/5/11 2:47 am, edited 11/5/11 2:50 am
Determine your goal weight, subtract 20 pounds and multiply by 10. If your goal is 160, subtract 20 for 140 and then multiply by 10 for 1400 total calories. Your protein shakes count.

Aim for 20 pounds under goal to be prepared for 20 pounds of bounceback regain between 18 and 36 months. If you are satisfied with fewer calories then you will lose faster.
poet_kelly
on 11/5/11 4:56 am - OH
You've heard from people that were told to get only 600 calories at a year out?  Wow.  Someone is giving out dangerous advice. 

Your nutritionist's advice sounds right to me.  Is there some reason you don't want to take her advice?

You're supposed to count everything you eat with your calories.  So yes, if you drink a protein shake, you are consuming calories, so you should count them.

At a year out, I was getting about 1200 calories a day.  At 18 months out, I was below goal so wanted to stop losing so I increased the calories.  Now at three years out, I get about 1500-1600 calories a day.  And I exercise very little.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lifztooshort
on 11/6/11 12:00 am
Ok, here goes...  I do not and will not count calories.  I am constantly evaluating labels and going over nutritional facts.  I focus on protein and carbs (sugar and fiber).   If it has no protein or more than 10 grams of sugar a serving I ask myself if it is really a good choice.  I do look at fat but am not obsessive about it.  I try diligently not to eat processed fatty food.  I rarely drink soda and do not eat candy, cakes, cookies, chips, etc, but every once in a while.  If I have chips I shoot for lentil chips or at least Sun Chips or Baked Lays.  Kashi makes great oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  I drink the Naked No Sugar Added fruit juices and smoothies sometimes and the sugar content is high but I have half a bottle.  This is a breakfast or post work out drink for me.
I believe it is all about choices and focusing on getting the right stuff in, not counting calories.  Most of us have read enough to know what we are supposed to avoid.  It all comes down to making those lifestyle changes like avoiding white bread, rice and potatoes.  Yes, I do eat the last two from time to time but it is on rare occassion.  I do not drink alcohol regularly either.  I tried carbs before and during workout but do fine if I just eat normally and workout when its time.  I am going through Bacis Law Enforcement Training and some of our workouts are intense.  I started this class 3 months post-op and have done great.  At 43, I feel like I have a life and feel great.  It has not been easy but I have never counted calories.  I have definition in my arms and legs and have continued to regularly lose weight and inches.
Zan - Life's too short...        
Believe in yourself and seek clarity.  Be your own advocate because it is your life and your body.

Laura in Texas
on 11/6/11 7:22 am
I am 3 years out. I don't count calories on a daily basis, but do every once in a while to see how much I'm eating. I eat around 2000-2500 calories on a typical day to maintain my weight. When I need to lose a few pounds (+3 is my upper limit), I cut back to 1300 calories a day and lose them within a week.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views