6th Hernia - oh my

Kathy
on 11/7/11 9:08 pm - Hamilton, NJ
I feel like I've been one big complication after another since surgery in 2003.  Sure, I've lost almost 200 lbs but read what I've been through.  You'll be shaking your head....................
Four months after surgery I was hospitalized with low potassium, a stricture and adhesions.  More surgery.  The rest of 2004 was pretty uneventful, although I did meet my now husband.  2005 - a hernia, and two strictures (all at different times).  2006, ugh, adhesions, small bowel obstruction and another stricture and hernia.  2007 was uneventful thankfully.  All this time I was continuing to lose weight and be healthy, although my diet is not always the greatest, I do try to make good choices.  2008, a hernia and then later another stricture.  2009  stricture after a bout with the stomach flu.  2010 was an awful year.  Hernia surgery  then I had a stricture in which the surgeon perforated my stomach and I wound up in emergency surgery to repair, only to be rushed back in 3 days later because my intestine ruptured and I was septic.  I developed pneumonia, liver failure, kidney failure MERSA - you name it.  I was in ICU for 30 days and out of work for many months.  March 2011 - another fricken hernia.  So, around June 2011 I'm feeling better and went back to work.  Hubby and I joined a yoga class in September and guess what????  I hurt myself.  Apparently yoga is not for me!  Another hernia.  Surgery is scheduled for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  I have had so many complications, but to look at me I'm the picture of health.  I'm at a good weight, all is good with blood pressure, blood work etc.  but inside I'm a mess.  I guess walking is the only exercise I can do now.  My stomach looks like a road map.  Sigh.  Life goes on.  Here's hoping 2012 will be operation free!
Vivian Prouty
on 11/7/11 9:20 pm - Fort Worth, TX
WOW Kathy,.....you know sometimes life isn't fair.   I have a friend who is about 3 yrs post op and she sounds about like you.    I can honestly say that since my 6 yrs. since surgery I have had no problems other than losing my gall bladder and a intestional hernia repair 18 months ago.    I will pray with you that 2012 and every year after that will be a uneventful one for you.     Have a blessed day.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian 

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Siui80
on 11/7/11 10:23 pm
Firstly I am sorry you have been through so much! Just terrible. Can I ask what the doctors have said in relation to your ongoing fight with all these hernias? I really really hope 2012 will be a good year for you!
Kathy
on 11/7/11 10:51 pm - Hamilton, NJ
As for the strictures and adhesions, they say its my body making too much scar tissue.  OK.  That's believeable.  As for the hernias - my stomach wall is not strong.  Its mostly mesh now.  I think from all the surgeries, I don't have any core muscles there.  So, I'm down to walking or swimming - both of which I like to do.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1100 views