3 Years

rhidunn
on 11/8/11 3:47 am - Annapolis, MD

Three years ago today I left Dr Baltasar’s clinica in Alcoy, Spain and headed to a condo on the coast to recuperate.  I wore a size 36-38 dress for the trip.  Although I couldn’t have the DS I had hoped for, due to adhesions, I was confident my VSG would help me find a way out from being Super Morbidly Obese at 435+ pounds. 

I sit here reflecting on the last three years, wearing my size 14 Banana Republic jeans and a GIANT SMILE.  I bought these at the thrift store brand new with tags for $4.  I didn’t even try them on.  A far cry from having to purchase over priced super plus sized clothing on line!  I may technically still be considered overweight – according to some arcane height/weight table but – I think I am just FINE!  I consider my 240 pound weight loss a complete victory.  My severe obstructive sleep apnea that was CPAP resistant was gone 2 days post op.  My severe pitting edema – gone, pretty much 2 days post op.  Blood pressure – normal.  EKG – normal.  Energy – plenty!  I climbed Dunn’s River Falls in Jamaica this summer, no sweat.

To all those before me (especially on the DS Board) – THANK YOU for a wealth of education, information (sometimes way TMI), advice, support and encouragement – I could not have made the informed decisions I did without you!  Through you I found courage and HOPE, I found an AMAZING surgeon, I found a slew of information with which to educate my PCP about the OPTIONS in WLS, I found ANOTHER AMAZING surgeon to do my plastics.  During this entire journey I never faced a situation that I was unprepared for – except for losing my underpants while walking through the mall one day – but, I digress.

To all of those that come after me I have some things to share:

WLS – whatever version you choose – is a tool it's not a magic eraser.  You still must make GOOD CHOICES.  Don’t put yourself in a bad place (again).   You have to make a lifestyle change – a commitment.  You don’t have to live in constant “diet and deprivation" mode – but you do have to know your limits and work with them.

2.       WLS – whatever version you choose – is a tool.  It isn’t going to fix your broken head or your broken soul – you still have to do that yourself – and DO IT!  You DESERVE it.

3.       Share – on this forum or some other one, but share.  We always have something to learn and, we can maybe provide education, advice, support, encouragement and, TMI –  like someone did for us. 

So happy 3 years to me and thank you all for being part of the process – the good, the bad and the ugly. 

MS.LISA
on 11/8/11 7:32 am - Salem, OR

Congradulations!!!!! I would love to see your before and after pictures!!
I am a year out and have lost all that I want to lose eccept for all the flab that losing weight leaves you, I was wondering if you still have good restriction, and how much can you eat now?

rhidunn
on 11/8/11 9:05 am - Annapolis, MD
MS.LISA - I sent you a friend request in case you wanted to see all my pictures - some are a little alarming so are marked for friends only.  As for restriction - I am VERY restricted still.  I can eat about 2 ounces of soft protein -- like seafood or really cooked pork, less if it is chicken.  

I eat about 5 small meals a day and have 2 protein shakes.   

Still Fawn
on 11/8/11 8:25 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Congrats on your amazing success! We were actually sleeved on the same exact day, so happy 3 year anniversary to the both of us!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

rhidunn
on 11/8/11 9:05 am - Annapolis, MD
Hey Sleeve Twin!  Congratulations to you as well and Happy Anniversary!

Most Active