Long term effects on the body... after GBS ?

Pitoune
on 11/11/11 4:43 am - Montréal, Canada
Through the last years, I have read alot about gastric bypass surgery. My concern actually is to know if there are any studies on the long term side effects on the body after many years ?  Say 20, 30 or even 40 years after the surgery.  Yes I may have prolonged my life with the weight loss but in the long run has it REALLY prolonges it ? Or has it just caused other potential problems... like damage on the immune system, liver, stomach ect...

What is the study result about long term calcium absorbtion ?

Thanks for any input.
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Mary Catherine
on 11/11/11 5:04 am
 My sister is a dietitian at a nursing home.  She says her patients who had weight loss surgery 40 or so years ago are healthier, more active and more concerned with nutrition than those *****mained obese.  Not only have their lives been prolonged, but their quality of life is better.
Dave Chambers
on 11/11/11 7:51 am - Mira Loma, CA
There is plenty of data on RNY around. It has a longer history than any other wt loss surgery, hence more post ops, and more health data.  Supplementation and tracking nutrient levels with labs is mandatory to prevent many potential issued due to deficiencies.  My surgeon's nurse waws asked this same question about life longevity on Tuesday night. She stated that data indicates life span IS INCREASED with RNY post ops if surgery is done before age 60.  After 60, data does not indicate a prolonged life, nor a shortened life.  Better health is a common result from lower wt, as long as you follow the surgical protocol, especially about protein intake, hydration, vitamins and calcium citrate.  BTW your calcium citrate is absorbed best with vitamin D levels of 80-90, which most likely will only be attained by using the 50K IU dry D3--multiple days each week, but most likely not daily. Why not attend a seminar by a couple of surgeons and pose this question to them?  Higher D levels have shown to decrease chances getting several cancers by 50% as another example of health benefits of following protocol. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pitoune
on 11/12/11 11:50 am - Montréal, Canada
Thank you Dave, I know that I have to be more careful in taking my calcium vits as at the last lab results my PTH was high ( 9) and even now I still somehow forget too often and take 1 out of 2 pills that I need to take daily. 
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

Most Active