Sleeping pill??

jlflbf
on 11/13/11 10:58 pm - Shore Area, NJ
Hi everyone,
I have a very difficult time falling asleep or staying asleep.
My Dr. prescribed Ambien for me...last night was my 1st time taking it.
It worked to help me fall asleep...but not stay asleep.
I was up 3 hours after taking it and then every 1-2 hours after that??
Anyone else have this problem...I have tried over the counter sleep aids to no avail.

has someone found a med. that really helps?

Thank you,
Jen
Dave Chambers
on 11/13/11 11:13 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Although I've taken a generic for Restoril for many years, I still had issues sleeping through the night with that same med.  Many post ops complaing about getting enough sleep post op.  I've found a couple of things that usually help, but not always.  I've used Melatonin or Tryptophan with my sleep meds several times a week, and this usually works.  I've found that I seem to wake easily after my RNY from the slightest of noises that did not bother my sleep prior to my wt loss surgery. I also have used a personal noise generator with ear buds. These inexpensive units use ear buds, and have a variety of low volume noises such as white noise, babbling brooks, ocean waves, birds chirpint--several soothing tones.  It may sound "over the top", but I've also used wax ear plugs and over the ear soundproof ear muffs on occasion also.  Each of these seem to help  me and one or more of these may work for you too.  Try to turn off TV when you go to bed or set sleep timer for 30 minutes or so.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jlflbf
on 11/13/11 11:21 pm - Shore Area, NJ
Thanks for the advice, I do use a fan for "white" noice. and have tried the melatonin, maybe I'll try that with a sleep aid.

Best,
Jen
pokerchips
on 11/16/11 6:44 am
WOW I took the  Melatonin with an over the counter sleeping pill last night AMAZING it was the 1st good night sleep I've had in a long time I didn't even have to wake up to go to the bathroom :)  Actually I overslept by 20 minutes I pushed snooze but don't remember doing it.  I only have to take a sleep aide for a few days out of a month until my sleep cycle is regulated.  If I took either one of these alone I would wake up every 3 hours or so.  Thanks for the tip!

Change is a Process Not an Event

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 11:14 pm
Yes, it is common.  They make Ambien CR for longer acting situations. 
jlflbf
on 11/13/11 11:20 pm - Shore Area, NJ
Thank you, I had seen info about Ambien CR, and was just going to look and see what the difference was.
Best,
Jen
Elizabeth N.
on 11/14/11 12:17 am, edited 12/31/11 11:42 pm - Burlington County, NJ

jlflbf
on 11/14/11 12:28 am - Shore Area, NJ
I like the cheap part, lol.
i will have to ask my Dr. about it. I go back to see her in 2 weeks.

I have to get this resolved....getting just a few hours of sleep, has been making me very tired and cranky.... :(
stlfocus
on 11/14/11 1:29 am - IA
Tylenol PM does it for me.
jlflbf
on 11/14/11 2:06 am - Shore Area, NJ

I wished it worked for me.
I've tried several OTC sleep aids with no help from any of them.
That is why I've gone the Dr. route.

Thank you

Most Active