Allergy to coumadin? warfarin?

littleskie
on 11/17/11 6:14 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
A month ago I had a panniculectomy. I ended up with blood clots. I spent a week in the hospital. I was given coumaden in the hospital and sent home with a prescription for the generic which is warfarin. I've been on it now for two weeks, almost. I have been throwing up almost daily for a week but it got really bad yesterday. I spent the last two days constantly nauseus. I have also been getting a bunch of bumps on my arms and across my chest. No color to them, more like goosebumps.

Went to my dr. this morning and he thinks I  may be allergic to the warfarin. He says I need this medicine to live because the severity of my clots and the fact that the next medicine that would be an option doesn't work very well for this. So he gave me a prescription for nausea meds. Figures i'm allergic to phenergren so I have to get one the insurance probably wont pay for. Sigh.

Has anyone else been thru something like this? I can't be alone and i'm honestly afraid. I've worked too hard to get healthy and now it seems like it was all for nothing.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/17/11 7:13 am
 There IS a newer med that is an alternative to warfarin, called Pradaxa. I had to take it when I needed warfarin, and since vitamin K is part of my daily routine, and is the antidote to warfarin / coumaden, I had to take Pradaxa instead.

I will say it was nice, because it doesn't require the monitoring of the level in your blood like warfarin. It's more expensive, but should be covered by insurance. If the warfarin is in fact what is causing your issues, ask you doctor about Pradaxa.
littleskie
on 11/17/11 7:26 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I had heard about pradaxa but was told medicare/medicaid wouldn't cover it and that it was very expensive. It's a shame when it's something that I need to live. I'm really worried about this. Dr.'s office already closed today. Still didn't get their ok on the med with the pharmacy and insurance so i'm gonna have another night tonite like last night. Dry heaves all night long. I'm so miserable.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/17/11 1:57 pm
It may not work, but my insurance also only pays for the cheaper things, which was the case with the pradaxa, and the dr had to specify that the coumaden would not work for me.

They have also had to do this with my asthma medication, as the cheaper stuff didn't work for me. We've done this with Premera, and Regeance, and the only thing is I have to pay is a higher deductible since I'm using a name brand med that is not on the preferred list. 

I'm hoping someone familiar with medicare/medicaid that knows if you can get around this shows up. 
littleskie
on 11/18/11 3:33 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Right now we are just trying to get them to accept a different anti nausea med. I can't take phenegren. It makes me sick. i'm so strange. So if they approve the anti nausea med that works we will keep with the warfarin until i get a rash that can be seen. then he says i will have to switch. he never even knew about pradaxa until I told him. he's my favorite pcp tho cause he listens. once we win this fight about my med they will be more willing to give us the pradaxa.

all i now is the dr. office is closed today since noon and no word from them. so i will be going thru this miserary till monday. so far all i've been able to keep down is refried beans on a low carb tortillia with cheese. thats it. well i can tolerate yogurt for breakfast. thats my entire menu for days now tho. just trying to keep from spending hours with dry heaves.

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 11/18/11 10:20 am
Oh my goodness... sounds like you  have been through a lot.  I am a homecare nurse and I actually had a patient have a similar problem when she went to the warfarin after taking name brand coumadin and the doctor then ok'ed for her to have the name brand coumadin and then she was fine... maybe something to consider... they concluded that she was allergic to one of the compounds that is in the warfarin that is not in coumadin (I think it was one of the dyes).   Have you maybe tried taking benadryl with the warfarin?  Truly it sounds like an allergic reaction to me with those bumps (hives, maybe). 

I also had another patient that was allegic to the warfarin and coumadin and her doctor put her on lovenox... which is usually the first thing they put people on to treat blood clots (at least here in NY).  It is a shot that requires daily or even twice daily injections but here most insurances cover it.  With the lovenox, there is no blood testing required either. 

Most Active