what happens if i dont get protien?

kristinamariejudy
on 11/19/11 3:45 pm - camden pt , MO
im about 2 and a half weeks post opp and havent really been trying to get protien. i start out good but give up every day. the fullness the flavor and budget have been holding me back . lazyness too i guess but i just havent bought in to the protien idea and want to know why is it so important. what happens if i dont get enough?
BeSwitched
on 11/19/11 4:06 pm, edited 1/23/12 2:20 am

Bette B.
on 11/19/11 10:22 pm
 Damn. You stole my answer! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

BeSwitched
on 11/19/11 4:30 pm, edited 1/23/12 2:23 am

BeSwitched
on 11/19/11 4:54 pm, edited 1/23/12 2:22 am

LaShonda H.
on 11/19/11 6:04 pm - WI
 Try the unflavored protein supplements, they are pretty easy to mix with things you are already eating I have found.  Like applesauce, yogurt, etc.  Unjury has a really good unflavored powder that I have used, you honestly don't even know it is there.  The other thing to remember is to make sure to get the protein from other places that it already is.  I was never a big yogurt eater, but before surgery I started to build my tolerance for it, and now I might actually say I like it.  If you eat the greek yogurts many of them have a decent amount of protein in them and then if you add a supplement to it, you have a nice solid dose to jump start your day.  Just one of many tips I have been given.  Good luck.

Follow me thru all of the good and bad days at my blog, Phat to Fabulous!        
JJ_
on 11/19/11 9:07 pm
 I didn't check the links provided above, however protein is needed by your major organs to function.  That is why at about 3 months you start to lose hair.  Your heart etc use the little protein that you ingest post surgery and you hair follicles get any left overs.  Your budget should be in a better condition after no longer eating as much as before.

Please look after yourself.

Judy
MsBatt
on 11/20/11 1:55 am
On November 20, 2011 at 5:07 AM Pacific Time, JJ_ wrote:
 I didn't check the links provided above, however protein is needed by your major organs to function.  That is why at about 3 months you start to lose hair.  Your heart etc use the little protein that you ingest post surgery and you hair follicles get any left overs.  Your budget should be in a better condition after no longer eating as much as before.

Please look after yourself.

Judy
Actually, low protein is NOT why most people start losing hair about three months after surgery. Google something called telogen efflusion. It'll explain the link between telegen ellfusion and the shock of surgery, anesthesia, etc.

Low protein CAN inhibit the re-growth of hair, however.
tripmom02
on 11/20/11 3:51 am - NJ
 Thanks for that, I am just over 3 months out and my hair is falling out by the handful, good to know it will stop and I won't end up bald like Bette (she is hot enough to pull it off, I however do not have a very nicely shaped head). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Mary Catherine
on 11/19/11 9:51 pm, edited 11/19/11 9:55 pm
 Dr Garth Davis used to have a bariactic surgery show on Discovery Health called Big Medicine.  He is very concerned about his patient's health before and after surgery. Take a look at this interview for his take on protein.  This information was life changing for me.  If the link doesn't open, go the right on the page and click Dr Garth Davis.

episodes/show/12888907/Dr-Garth-Davis

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views