My DS at 4 years (X-post)

zappre
on 11/20/11 5:33 am
Four frickin' years. Four. Who can even count that high (in WLS years, anyway)? I remember as a newbie craving the idea that I could hear from people who'd lived with the DS for a few years. Now, I'm him. Wow. Who woulda thunk?

Okay, enough ooo'ing and aaah'ing. Let's get to the meat and potatoes of the matter (meat, mostly). Today is the fourth anniversary of my DS surgery. On my surgery consult day I weighed 373 lbs. Today, I weigh a steady 170 lbs. Very steady. Freakishly steady, really. I'm not sure how it's happening but I'm not gonna jinx it other than to say the DS works as advertised. As far as weight, the DS delivered as promised beyond my wildest dreams. I remember being terrrified before, during and after surgery about reaching goal. I though the 185 goal my surgeon had was a tad low but I'd take it, assuming I'd never get there (since I never reached a weight goal in my life). Once I reached goal and had all the excess waist skin removed, I've hovered around 170. Steady as she goes. Like magic. So I reached goal and have kept it off - both things I though impossible.

My life is quite good but not perfect. The good is that I really do eat whatever I want, while always keeping protein in my mind, and in my stomach. I don't always do protein first but I do do protein alot. It's just automated now. If I'm having a meal, the question, "where's the protein" automatically comes up. I'm healthy, for the most part. I'm a gas machine, which i could likely curtail if I held back on certain foods but I can never figure out which foods and anyway, I like them sooo much. Oil slicks, which were more of a problem early in my DS life, are much less so now, but occasionally they show up, and not always in time to get to a bowl. I'm also still not Mr. Energy, despite expecting to have so much more 200 lbs. less. That said, I may spend alot of time on the couch but I pop up off of it way easier than in the fat old days.

I am religious about getting bloodwork done. My main DS transgression is vitamins. I've had a bad few months. So far, no sign of a problem in the blood but I know it's coming and I'm getting back on the horse. Don't be like me in this regard. It's stupid, plaiin and simple. I had a difficult summer emotionally and I let it affect the consistency of my vitamin-taking. Not a good idea. I also require an occasional iron infusion which is painless and effective.

That's about it. DS life is good. i'm a thin man and most of the people who know me now never knew me as a fat man despite that being who I was for about 30 years. It's weird but I'm okay with that type of wierd. If you're thinking about the DS, know that at a minimum, it works as advertised. If you're willing to follow the rules, you'd have a life that you currently probably don't let yourself think is possible. It is. I'm living it.

I hope all of my old DS friends who gave me so much good advice and supported me so well (and even those who tried to rip off my limbs or wished me a painful end) are healthy and happy. I hope those that are thinking about surgery think long and hard and make the right decision. It can change your life. It can give you a life. If gave me one.

My and my love recently:

HW-373 / SW-352 / CW-160 / GW-185                     

Emily F.
on 11/20/11 7:02 am
What a success! Thanks for sharing.
martitalinda
on 11/20/11 7:27 am
 AWESOME!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ... you both look fabulous!!!! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Zee Starrlite
on 11/20/11 2:13 pm

You look fantastic Zappre!!!  Hard to believe it's been 4yrs - I remember you from the beginning and it is so nice to know you are doing so well.

Blessings,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Heather :o)
on 11/20/11 8:37 pm
What fantastic success! You look great!
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
mollypitcher08
on 11/21/11 2:30 am
zappre:  Thanks for telling your story and for the post.  It is always good to hear about how others are doing a few years post any types of surgery.  You both look great.  Keep up the good work and take those vitamins!!! Best wishes  Mary