Sneaky trick by credit card companies

So Blessed!
on 12/5/11 2:29 am

Watch your mail carefully.    It appears they've found another loophole.  

Some companies are sending opt out forms instead of credit card applications.  If you don't actively opt out they will send you a card you didn't ask for.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/12/01/columbus-unsolicited-credit-cards.html

I'm one of those people who automatically shreds junk mail unopened.  I shouldn't have to actually read this crap.  I'm going to start mailing back the empty return envelopes so they at least have to pay extra postage for wasting my time.  

martitalinda
on 12/5/11 2:33 am
 I'm one of those people who automatically shreds junk mail unopened. 

Same here ... and I shred junk calls too.... 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

So Blessed!
on 12/5/11 3:10 am

I will hang up on them with a quickness!   

Then I report them to the "Do Not Call" registry.

DebsGiz
on 12/5/11 9:43 am - FL

May want to run this past an attorney, but it's my understanding that if you receive an unsolicited card card, you have no obligation to pay for it.

I seem to remember years ago people charging them up and there was nothing the credit card companies could do because they were sent unrequested and, thusly, without obligation.

May be an urban myth... 
So Blessed!
on 12/6/11 11:58 pm

I found this:

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/are-you-stuck-with-unwanted-cr edit-333

Are You Stuck With Unwanted Credit?

Tucked in among the bills, circulars and other assorted mail that arrives every day is a pre-approved credit card with a $7,500 line of credit. You don't remember ever applying for it. Are you therefore liable for charges made to that card?

According to the Federal Trade Commission, you would not be liable in any way for the unauthorized use of any kind of credit card sent to you without you first having applied for the credit. In fact, under the federal Truth in Lending Act, it's illegal for a creditor of any kind, including banks, department stores and oil companies, to extend credit without either an oral or written application. This includes MasterCard, Visa, and travel and entertainment cards, like American Express and Diners Club.

It is, however, perfectly legal for a creditor to issue renewal or replacement credit cards, since your earlier application is on file. A department store or oil company may replace its own card with a full-service Visa or MasterCard. If you activate one of these cards, mistaking it for a replacement card, you could open a credit line you don't want. In such cases, the prior acount is closed when the new one is activated. To terminate a credit agreement, you must inform the creditor in writing.

Under ordinary cir****tances you can be liable for up to $50 per card for the unauthorized use of your legitimate credit cards, but there is no liability at all for the misuse of credit for which you never applied.

If you receive an unsolicited credit card, the Better Business Bureau suggests the following:

• Make a photocopy of the card, then cut it up. Write to the issuer, stating that you decline the offer and are requesting that any information added to your credit record be removed immediately.
  • Keep a record of the card offer and your letter. Never give out personal or confidential information over the telephone.
  • If you are interested in keeping the card, don't use it until you have verified all of the terms of the agreement, including credit limit, annual fee, interest rate and length of time for which the rate is guaranteed.

For additional information, contact your local Better Business Bureau or the Federal Trade Commision.

LindaScrip
on 12/7/11 8:04 am
DebsGiz I don't know who told you that myth once you put your signature on a credit card you have made a legal contract to pay as long as they can prove its your signature.  Its called stealing and when I hear people brag and think they got away with it I think it stinks. And I am not saying you are saying its OK to do that just responding to your post. I toss them and if they try to bill me I call them and tell them I don't think so I am not paying for something I didn't request or apply for.
DebsGiz
on 12/7/11 8:42 am - FL

One of the things I enjoy in life is a flawless credit record and a real nice credit score, so I agree  that it would be dishonest to jack up a card and not pay for it; however, the response was in relation to what I had heard about companies sending unsolicited cards. 

As far as I knew, it was an urban myth; however, it does appear that there might actually is something to it based upon what another member has posted. 
LindaScrip
on 12/11/11 2:08 am
It just cracks me up when people think they can beat the system I am not referring to you Deb the people who think having bad credit is a ha ha when God forbid they need a set of wheels and place to live or some places of employment check for credit scores before hiring their employees or the ones who take that credit card run them up and walk away thinking they got away with it and the people like us who pay high prices for certain things because of that.  Under different cir****tances such as job loss or illness beyond ones control you do the best you can so when I see people not giving a rat's ass about bad credit tsk tsk.
MsBatt
on 12/5/11 11:34 pm
On December 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, So Blessed! wrote:

Watch your mail carefully.    It appears they've found another loophole.  

Some companies are sending opt out forms instead of credit card applications.  If you don't actively opt out they will send you a card you didn't ask for.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/12/01/columbus-unsolicited-credit-cards.html

I'm one of those people who automatically shreds junk mail unopened.  I shouldn't have to actually read this crap.  I'm going to start mailing back the empty return envelopes so they at least have to pay extra postage for wasting my time.  

My "little back thing" isn't a smashed-face like that one, but his tongue IS too large for his mouth---so it sticks out all the time. This pic made me laugh!
So Blessed!
on 12/6/11 3:44 am

Dogs are so cool.  Love 'em!
Most Active