What can I do to increase energy?

ADW222
on 12/10/11 2:18 am - ENCINO, CA
Hello Everyone,

I am just over 2 months out from surgery and I get so tired by lunch time at work. I have increased my b-12 to two capsules instead of one and it is not helping. And I don't like coffe and I won't drink energy drinks due to sugar and carbonation in most. Any suggestions?

Cheyara
Valerie G.
on 12/10/11 2:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Make sure you're getting enough fluids and protein through the morning.  A small breakfast may not be enough.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

KathyA999
on 12/10/11 2:44 am
Two things come to mind.  How much protein are you getting?  You should be getting at least 60 grams per day.  And you might consider an iron supplement.  Be sure to take it at least 2 hours away from any calcium supplement or dairy.  I recommend VitaLady's Tender Iron, available online. 

Another thought, have your PCP or surgeon run your labs and discuss the results with him/her, there may be other values out of range.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

ADW222
on 12/10/11 2:52 am - ENCINO, CA
I am getting about 65 grams of protein and drinking 70 ounces of water . I am taking bariatric Iron chews, prenatal vitamin, d3, calcium, 2 b-12, biotin. And I am still very tired. I will definitely get labs ran soon. Thanks.
poet_kelly
on 12/10/11 2:59 am - OH
Have you had labs done lately?  What's your B12 level?  Vitamin D?  Iron and ferritin?  Protein?  I would get the labs done if you haven't lately to see what you might need to increase.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 12/10/11 4:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
Many wt loss patients have trouble with fatigue for 3 months or so post op.  You might try the b12 sublingual, as they tend to be absorbed better than b12 capsules.  It takes time for you body to adjust to your new digestion, regardless of surgery. Most of my post op support groups are RNY pateints, but a lot of new sleeve patients are expressing this same fatigue issue. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Bettisima
on 12/10/11 10:37 am, edited 12/10/11 10:38 am
I have to ask what kind of B12 you are getting. I believe your post said capsules. If you are indeed swallowing your B12, I would suspect that is the problem.

After RNY we need to either take sublingual (melts under the tongue), a nasal spray, or shots for our B12.

ETA : just saw your surgery type is VSG, so my ramblings about it needed to be something other than what you swallow is invalid. I apologize.
ladyj1968
on 12/10/11 11:42 am
I suggest you try the B12 spray for your nose,you only spray it one time in your nostril once a week.
Emily F.
on 12/11/11 4:25 am
I never liked coffee either but everyone raved over coffee protein shakes that I purposively got a small coffee maker and tried it. Wow, really really helps. I love them now.

brew half a small pot of coffee and let it cool to room temp or close.
1/2 cup half and half (or any kind of milk, soy, almond, skim, whole, etc. or could do milk w a little whipping cream)
2 scoops protein
blend

add coffee and ice, blend. Top with redi whip. YUMMMMMM.

I feel so much better.
Most Active