Test Results-- Surgery Not Scheduled

JAADE
on 12/12/11 10:35 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
I could cry right now. Got the call about an hour ago that my tests came back and they would need to re-test in another month. #1 my e-cig tested positive for nicotine as if it had been a normal cig--I was told it would not AND #2 my thyroid was REALLY high. I guess normal is under 1? Normal high is under 4? Mine was 18.9. So now, I need to go back to my normal doc and get thyroid meds. If they were high they day of surgery they wouldn't be able to do it. Of course the cig part is my fault and I feel like an idiot. I was so proud I had not had a real smoke for 2 months. BLAH!

Also...I cannot help but wonder, if my thyroid is "in check", do I still need surgery? So much running through my mind. I feel so broken hearted that I may have to wait till February. I know that is dumb, but whatever, I am dumb.

Boooooo to today.

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 10:48 pm
You are NOT dumb, you are disappointed. It's so natural to feel disappointed when you have your mind set on a goal and obstacles pop up.

You can do this. Go back to see your regular doc and get your thyroid taken care of. You made the switch from regular cigarettes to the e-cigs, now you can just take the next step and drop those too.

You have a couple speed bumps here, they are slowing you down but they don't have to stop you. You need to be as healthy as possible going into this surgery so you come out of it ready to hit the ground running.

Go ahead and be disappointed today and then tomorrow start again. Call and make the appointment with your PCP, kick the e-cigs and move forward. If you want to wait until February that's okay too, the surgery will still be around.

Boooo to today but yay to tomorrow!
Dave Chambers
on 12/13/11 12:26 am - Mira Loma, CA
Surgeons are strict on "no smoking" and almost always test for nicotine.  "E-cigs" , not a wise decision.  "Real smoke" vs e-cig, it's still a habit you need to quit.  Starting to smoke post op will only lead to a host of issues, none of the pleasant.  Docs do a variety of medical testing to prevent unknown issues that complicate surgery.  I had to have a follow-up cardio doc visit, and everything went well during surgery. But, due to low bp issues, I did end up with a pacemaker implant.  I don't think thyroid issues by themselves would lead to issues that lead you to want wt loss surgery.  Get to some support groups between now and your future surgery date. Learn as much as possible about the post op lifestyle, to make your life easier. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JAADE
on 12/13/11 3:45 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Thanks guys for the response. I guess my thought on the thyroid is ---could that be why I cannot lose weight? I doubt it, but nonetheless I am feeling a little lost with how high it is and why it has not been caught before now. The e-cigs--an idiot mistake. I am done with them, it will suck but not any worse than smoking...and I did it through that. For me this journey is about getting healthier and I plan on never smoking again. I want to CHANGE my life, not just get thin.

I will allow myself the afternoon to pout, but then tonight I am going to my first support group for WLS. Tomorrow IS a new day, and I am not one to dwell. I believe all things happen for a reason... I will be just as grateful in February as I would have been in January. Thanks for coming to my pity party! ;)
Samantha L.
on 12/13/11 5:02 am - Petaluma, CA
 Jaade, I just love your attitude!  Pout away, Lovely.  

If it does turn out that you can lose the weight needed by simply getting your tyroid taken care of, then GOOD FOR YOU!!!   
  I really hope everything works out for you.  Best of luck!

Samantha

Heather :o)
on 12/13/11 9:27 am
Your Thyroid level is very HYPO. Have you had thyroid issues before? Do you have an endocrinologist? Definitely get an endocrine work up asap. With a TSh of 18.9 the scales might not move even after surgery. I would get this addressed first. Good Luck.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
BiscuitNYC
on 12/13/11 11:45 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
 The thyroid issue should be easily treated with meds.  Surprising that your PCP never tested before considering your weight.  But even with your TSH in the normal range, it's still not easy to lose weight, especially as we get older.  

I used to smoke and switched to ecigs when I decided to have WLS.  No one ever tested me for nicotine.  Always thought it was the tar and other lung issues that was the problem with anesthesia.  If they are testing, I would suppose the patch or gum is out of the question, but were I you I'd ask.  Anyway, my PCP also prescribed for me at the time Wellbutrin XL (generic:  bupropion) which is the same as Zyban.  It is a mild anti-depressant, used for smoking cessation and seasonal affective disorder.  There's also Chantix (generic: varenicline), which I believe is only prescribed as a smoking cessation drug. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 12:15 pm
Take your time, this is a big decision and no need to rush into it. Best of luck and just try not to be bummed out about it, just keep your head up!
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1510 views