So explain this bariatric hospital bed to me

lamp35
on 12/19/11 9:28 am
I was in the hospital a few days last week, everything is ok, but at least I now know my heart and arteries are in great shape.

But while I was there, I was in the most uncomfortable bed! It was like an sleep number bed that I had zero control over...it inflated and deflated...no lie...EVERY 60 seconds.....for two days! ughhh

Anyway, I was telling the nurse that this was gonna be miserable if I had to lay there like that for 4-5 days after my DS surgery....but she mentioned that there are special beds for WLS patients.

What were these beds like?
M M
on 12/19/11 9:56 am
 They are wider -- heavy duty -- some have a hand bar above you.

But, pretty standard like a regular bed. 

You will be on heavy meds anyway.
littleskie
on 12/19/11 10:25 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I spent three weeks on a bed like that. It will help to prevent blood clots. You will get used to it. Think of it like an old style waterbed without the baffles. You know the kind that whenever your husband/wife moved it moved you too.

Really it wasn't that bad at all. Well till it malfunctioned and in the middle of the night I found myself in a bed with no air and huge metal box in the middle of my back. Ouch.

Oh, I also have terrible back pain and the bed not only helped with that it also helped to prevent bed sores. I went into the hospital with a bed sore in the middle of my back. I was too obese to reach it.

All in all I honestly think it saved my life. I couldn't handle the lovonox shots. They burned so badly. So I made them stop them, stupid I know. Won't do that again. Anyway I never did get blood clots and i'm sure it was the bed. When I went in for my panniculectomy this October I ended up with lots of blood clots in my leg. Still trying to recover from it.

So give the bed a shot, well worth it!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Sharyn S.
on 12/19/11 11:54 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
That is not a bariatric bed.  It is called a low air loss mattress.  It is to prevent pressure ulcers (aka, bed sores).  There are used on people with mobility issues or those with fragile skin.

Drive Medical model 14048 Bariatric-Size Mattress Replacement System
Alternating Pressure Mattress, Bariatric Mattress w/750-lb weight capacity

Mattress system fits Bariatric-size hospital bed 48"W x 80"L, mattress is 8" high. The mattress system provides alternating pressure therapy for a Full-Size Bed with a weight capacity of 750-lbs.

The easy-to-operate controller. The mattress is designed to be used in the prevention, treatment and management of Pressure Ulcers.

Mattress operates in an alternating pressure mode. Ideal for use in nursing homes, hospitals and home use.

LED and Audible low pressure alarm activate when pressure falls below 10-mmHg.

Cell-on-Cell design prevents the patient from "Bottoming Out" in the event of power failure.

"Whisper quiet" pump produces 15-LPM (Litres per Minute) in air flow.

Mattress has 20 air bladders.

10" cells are constructed with Nylon/TPU that is soft, lightweight and will not stretch.

Quick fill adapter standard.

CPR valves provide fast (20 second) deflation.

The zippered Nylon/TPU cover material is quilted, water resistant, vapor permeable and machine washable.

Warranty: 18-Months Limited on Pump
Warranty: 18-Months Limited on Mattress

Mattress size & capacity:
standard 80"L x 48"W x 8"H, 750-lb weight capacity.

Specifications:
Power Supply: AC 120V/60Hz, 10W
Cycle Time: 10 min/60Hz
Safety Standards: UL, c-UL, CE

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

codlover
on 12/19/11 12:37 pm - Celina, OH
This is what I hate about OH....you can never get an answer to your question on here !!!! LOL

I was on one these for two weeks, but mine stayed at a constant pressure.....great bed !!!  If the pump stops....you are in it for the rest of your life..HA

Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
glzgowlass
on 12/19/11 11:23 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I know it probably is beneficial but if I'd had a knife I'd have stabbed mine to make it stop!

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Ashley O.
on 12/19/11 1:13 pm
i just had a normal hospital bed.. when i first woke up there was an extra mat thing on it.. but after i got up to walk the firsttime, they took it off and it was no different than any other hospital bed.. nothing inflating or deflating.. So i'm not entirely sure. anywho, goodluck with your surgery. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 8:21 pm
 My bed was totally normal too  ..but they gave me  these inflating /deflating PANTS .   Yep they were pretty exciting ....  particularly when I had to pee  RIGHT NOW  and had to strip em off  AND  toddle to the bathroom  with my IV pole trailing behind me lol.

Luckily they took the pants away after the first night  :) 
southernlady5464
on 12/20/11 8:02 am
On December 20, 2011 at 4:21 AM Pacific Time, ♫♪Mini-Me's Mommy♪♫ wrote:
 My bed was totally normal too  ..but they gave me  these inflating /deflating PANTS .   Yep they were pretty exciting ....  particularly when I had to pee  RIGHT NOW  and had to strip em off  AND  toddle to the bathroom  with my IV pole trailing behind me lol.

Luckily they took the pants away after the first night  :) 
Those inflating/deflating pants are there to prevent blood clots also known as deep vein thrombosis and can KILL you...should have had them on you whenever in the bed the entire time you were in the hospital.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

glzgowlass
on 12/19/11 11:21 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I hated the bed I was in after WLS but not everyone gets them.  It constantly moved and when I got home my legs and back were killing me!  They are designed that way to stop blood clots so I was told. 
Boy I had no chance of that!  I had the constant alternating pressure of the bed combined with blood thinner shots to the belly and wrapping around my legs which changed pressure.  (Now the wrappings I liked - it felt good)

It was a pain -literally - but probably a good thing for people who may develop clots especially for the SMO.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119