What to do with old medication

NanaRose142
on 12/28/11 1:05 pm - TX
Sometimes expired drugs can have adverse effects on people.  I would not give any medication prescribed for me and expecially if it is expired to anyone else to take.  That is very dangerous. Sometimes drugs are not good mixed with other drugs and no one knows what other people have been taking.  Nope, taking to a shelter is not very safe.  Maybe to a doctor who could give the meds to someone who is a patient and that they know what they are taking.  Sharing was a good thought though.

Happy New Year to all.
Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I got older.    
Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/28/11 6:10 pm - Burleson, TX

odude-I'm a Hospice nurse, and have to dispose of meds all the time (even perfectly usable meds, but can't transfer them to another person-it's Medicare law). Our protocal is to make them as "unattracive a possible", and as far from their original appearance/composition, as we can .Of course, we deal with some pretty powerful meds, but we do it with all the leftovers.

We mix the meds in kitty litter or coffee grounds, the douse the mixture in bleach. Yummy-huh? Not even a die hard dumpster diver would want to unwrap that mixture-esp when it's wrapped in an adult diaper-which is what we normally do.

Yea-you CAN take it to the pharmacy/police station..but it's kinda fun to be creative...lol....In the old ways we flushed them...I can't tell you how many rural septic systems I have wrecked, over the years!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

obesedude
on 12/29/11 2:10 am, edited 12/29/11 2:12 am

thanks all.  I went to a pharmacy today and they said to give it to a hospital.  I went to a hospital and they said they weren't really a hospital (yes, that is what the gentleman said).  So then I went home and went on google.  

http://www.americanmedicinechest.com/

If anyone is looking for a drop-off site, the above site may help.

Thanks,
obesedude

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1312 views