regain at 3 years out

HolliM
on 1/4/12 6:11 pm - Red Bush, KY
Has anyone here went through regain after their WLS and got it back off ? If so what did you do to take care of this problem ?
RNY 10-22-08 lost to 155 from 335 with in the firt year and a half. After that I started gaining due to some depression meds and migraine meds. I'm now at 238 and really wanna get back to 165 to 175 cause I felt sick and ill all the time at 155.
Thanks for any info. you may have.
Hollim

Highest Weight 335                      When I came home 330.2
Surgery Weight 321.4                   Current 170
www.myspace.com/hma82

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/4/12 6:56 pm - Burleson, TX

HOLLI-first off, CONGRATS on taking charge of your HEALTH! Weight regain is not a sign of FAILURE. It's a crappy step in the journey. You did it..maybe it was the meds..maybe it was too many carbs..not enough logging/exercise...maybe a combination of things...For me, my once 70 lb regain was my absolute not doing what I KNEW to do..It was MY undoing, and I have to own it. If depression and migraine meds are truly playing havoc with your weight, talk to your doctor about your concerns-there ARE options. I take an antidepressant and 2 migraine prevention meds daily-my docs and I had to work to find a "balance" for what would work for all areas of my life, and I'd like to encourage you to do the same. We MUST be our OWN best advocates, and voice our needs.

BARBARA posted a FABULOUS thread about "getting back on track". If my link doesn't work, scroll down several posts-it was toward the bottom of the page this morning.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4487748/Getting-back- on-track-you-can-do-it/#37134449

You ABSOLUTELY can do this, and we'll be here for you, every bite/step of the way. You are amongst peeps who know exactly what you are going thru.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kathy S.
on 1/4/12 10:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Hi Hollim,

Congratulations on the weight loss and being so healthy.

Come join us at the Back On Track Together Group.

We hope to see you there     

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/5/12 12:14 am - Burleson, TX
KATHY--oops!!! Forgot to tell her about the BOTT group..my bad !!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Mary Catherine
on 1/5/12 1:44 am
 Regain at three years out is the body's way of recovering from its perception that it had been starved for the two previous years.  It is just a crummy part of the journey.  If someone avoided regain, they did it by being extremely viligant about their diet, exercise, and daily weighing.

RNY itself takes off 100 pounds.  Everything else is from hard work. To achieve that excess loss over 100 pounds you would have to have worked very hard. The medications made it easier to gain, but the bounceback gain is normal.  To lose what you did most likely required tremendous diligence and I applaud you on doing it.

That kind of superhuman effort is very difficult to maintain. It is also extremely boring and results in feelings of being deprieved.

To get to 175 now is going to be one of the hardest tasks you have ever undertaken. Your metabolism has been altered due to the surgery and due to the medications.  You can do it, but it will require very hard work.   Start tracking your diet and exercise.  Realize that two pounds a week would be an awesome loss and that much speed may not be doable.  You would need to lose 63 pounds and that would probably take at least 30 weeks of extreme diet and exercise.

The first step in your remediation plan is to have a very accurate scale and to use that scale daily.  Weigh yourself at the same time, wearing the same clothing and with the scale at the same place on the floor.  Keep accurate records and don't skip weighing.  Skipping the scale will cause denial.  My regain happened during a period when I had quit weighing.

An excellent idea would be to enroll in Weigh****chers and follow their points system, meetings and weekly weigh-ins.  It is a way to remain accountable.  There is no longer a quick weight loss for you.  That honeymoon is over.  You can do it, but it is going to be a big job.