BELLY FAT??? (Yuck)

Keldriv
on 1/11/12 8:56 am - Fair Play, SC
Ok I’ve lost roughly 230+ pounds. I have a lot of excess skin, especially in the belly causing an apron. Although I have this chicken skin all over me some places still have some fat within the skin. Kind of reminds me of a deflated balloon with a spoon full of pudding in it. This is very much present in the apron area. Does anyone else have this? What do you do about it? Have you tried remedies other then surgery to remove it? I am not ready for plastics. I want to do all I can first. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
                                   Married Mother of 3 Likeing the New Me!!
Highest Weight 384, Pre-surgery weight 313, Current Weight @144, Goal Weight 150, Ideal Weight
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
"Be not anxious for what you shall eat, or what you shall drink ... or what you shall wear ... Isn't life more than food? ... and the body more than clothing?"~ Luke 12:22; 29
Kelly    
Ladytazz
on 1/11/12 9:16 am
I really don't think there is anything that can be done about it other then surgery.  It's not like other areas that you could fill with muscle.  It is excess skin and it doesn't go away after we lose weight.  I know from experience, sadly.
It may improve over time but it won't disappear.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

M M
on 1/11/12 9:24 am
 Plastic surgery.

Start saving!

You might be able to get insurance coverage -- look into your insurance.
Lisa S.
on 1/11/12 9:37 am - Lexington, NC
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/14/12
First, congrats on your awesome weight loss!!!!

Secondly, I haven't had my surgery yet, but excess skin is one of my fears. Did you do anything that you thought would prevent it? I have seen folks saying that they moisturize, but I didn't know if that was enough.

Again, congrats!!!
MsBatt
on 1/11/12 10:22 am
There's nothing that will prevent loose skin. Toning the muscles beneath the skin makes it look better, but it doesn't tighten it any. It's simply a case of we grew more skin to cover our fat, and our bodies won't re-absorb it.

Olivia L.
on 1/11/12 3:41 pm
i was told that too, to "moisturize" but there is no amount of lotion that can stop the excess skin. surgery truly is the only option for those of us with the "apron"
 xoxo Olivia   
HW: 428 August 2009
CW: 220 June2012
GW:175 September 2012?!

melissa_whitener
on 1/11/12 12:56 pm - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 your insurance might eventually cover removal of this, depending on how large it is.  I have met some WLS vets who do not have this problem.  I wonder if cocoa butter works? one wls veteran used it daily and has very little loose skin.  If you get any great suggestions please post.  meanwhile if you check out seattle_maui's blog she has tons of info on this from her own perspective!
thisbe777
on 1/11/12 12:59 pm
 i had a tummy tuck not quite a year ago...   he took 10.6 lbs of skin off my middle and tightened up my abs....  i had my gall bladder out at the same time, so my insurance paid for it....  i am not at goal yet, but i grabbed the opportunity while it was there....  there is no way it would go away on its own...   ever.

i like having a flat tummy for the first time since the 1970's!!!

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/11/12 1:59 pm
First, I played with it. It's so malleable, and particularly cool in the tub. I know that sounds gross, but honey and I really had some laughs making weird shapes with it. Then, I had a surgeon cut it off, cuz it's only amusing for so long. It may improve a teeny bit on its own the first few years, but not enough.
Arieschick33
on 1/12/12 2:37 pm - Lusby, MD
RNY on 01/17/12
Too funny!!! Got to have a sense of humor to get through life, Love it! Made me laugh out loud, I needed that!

Most Active