Gastric bypass after sleeve

M. Walker
on 1/11/12 10:44 am
DS on 02/12/13
Anyone have UHC? And wanting to go ahead and get the gastric bypass? Just wondering the criteria they want or if there is a time limit as to when they will authorize the bypass?

MsBatt
on 1/11/12 11:08 am
May I ask why you want to turn your fully-functional Sleeved stomach into an RNY pouch???

Seriously, if the Sleeve hasn't produced sufficient weight-loss for you, the RNY probably won't, either---studies are showing that these two procedures have VERY similar long-term results.

Have you researched the DS? (Duodenal Switch) The DS is basically the Sleeve (which you already have) plus an intestinal bypass which produces dramatic, permanent changes in metabolism and permanent malabsorption of calories. (The malabsorption of calories stops about 24 months after the RNY.)

MARIA F.
on 1/11/12 1:10 pm - Athens, GA

I concur with Msbatt on that. It would make much more sense to complete the DS rather than convert a VSG into a RNY. Better long term results, and much safer surgery too I would assume.

Btw..........would you happen to know what size bougie they used on you???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/11/12 1:44 pm
Change the sleeve into a pouch, then do the intestinal part?? Why not leave the superior sleeve alone, and ONLY do the intestinal part of the DS?? It's the most effective surgery there is, and you have half of it

I know why - the surgeon doesn't know how, so you have to pay the price with lots more surgery, to give you a lesser procedure. I'd fire that surgeon and hire one that knows all the surgeries instead of selling me a Yugo. Honey, I'm not being pissy at you, it's at your unethical surgeon.
M. Walker
on 1/11/12 2:01 pm
DS on 02/12/13
Please only respond to my question. This has nothing to do with my surgeon's ability, or if I even decide to do this or if my surgeon is willing to do this. I did not post for these answers. Don't respond if it is not for the answer to the original question. Thank you.

Sharyn S.
on 1/11/12 10:31 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
On January 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Pacific Time, Melissa W. wrote:
Please only respond to my question. This has nothing to do with my surgeon's ability, or if I even decide to do this or if my surgeon is willing to do this. I did not post for these answers. Don't respond if it is not for the answer to the original question. Thank you.
I guess you didn't like my first answer.  Whatever.

As someone who has been very successful with the RNY for over 7 years, I ask you "Why would you trade in a fully operational sleeve with pyloric valve for a pouch???  Dumping and reactive hypoglycemia are no walk in the park.  You are already half way to the DS.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have had the DS.  That is 7 years of living with the RNY talking.  Don't get me wrong, I don't regret having RNY.  But, if I had a do-over, I would get the DS.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

NanaB.
on 1/11/12 10:41 pm, edited 1/11/12 10:47 pm
Strange, you mentioned that you would get the DS if you had to do it all over again due to dumping and hypoglycemia that many long term RNYs have...but what I just discovered many Sleevers dump too, just do a search on the Sleeve board and you will come up any MANY that dump or have adverse reaction to carbs and sweets SAME as gastric bypass folks, not sure why this is downplayed. I have a friend with the Sleeve and she had NO IDEA that they dump, she can't eat full fats and carbs at restaurants her life is a total nightmare.

My sister had stomach stapling surgery about 25 years ago, and SHE DUMPS too, I think it has to with stapling off the stomach and she suffer quite frequently from stomach issues also.

I researched it and found that Sleevers have rapid gastric emptying, I guess people need to do their research outside of OH prior to surgery prior to making a life altering decision.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Sharyn S.
on 1/11/12 11:03 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
On January 12, 2012 at 6:41 AM Pacific Time, NanaB. wrote:
Strange, you mentioned that you would get the DS if you had to do it all over again due to dumping and hypoglycemia that many long term RNYs have...but what I just discovered many Sleevers dump too, just do a search on the Sleeve board and you will come up any MANY that dump or have adverse reaction to carbs and sweets SAME as gastric bypass folks, not sure why this is downplayed. I have a friend with the Sleeve and she had NO IDEA that they dump, she can't eat full fats and carbs at restaurants her life is a total nightmare.

My sister had stomach stapling surgery about 25 years ago, and SHE DUMPS too, I think it has to with stapling off the stomach and she suffer quite frequently from stomach issues also.

I researched it and found that Sleevers have rapid gastric emptying, I guess people need to do their research outside of OH prior to surgery prior to making a life altering decision.
Yes, there is still SOME who dump with the VSG, but not nearly as many as with the RNY, and even that's only 30%, or so.

But, I will NEVER recommend the CrapBand. 

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

NanaB.
on 1/11/12 11:19 pm, edited 1/11/12 11:20 pm

Yea...but I did not know Sleevers dump, the way people on this board portray it, it is the best thing since sliced bread, and that was a new on me.

I am glad I learned this in case my band ever slips, or need to come out, I would look at the Sleeve as an option, but now I would NEVER look at it as option.. and thank god so far so good with my CRAPBAND, my life is smooth with no side effects at 7 years post op .

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 10:40 am
Most Active