What do you means by "can't tolerate"?

serendipity2121
on 1/12/12 5:04 am - Memphis, TN
I hear people say they can't tolerate beef, can't tolerate chicken, beans.... what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you can't digest it, or that you feel uncomfortable, or what?

Just curious. ... I don't have any trouble.... which is kinda not cool. I'm having to work just as hard at weight lss now as i have with every diet I tried before.

Calif_Princess
on 1/12/12 5:12 am - Louisville, KY
At 3 years out from my RnY I still cannot tolerate cauliflower. I know, it’s weird, but true. For the first year after my surgery I couldn’t tolerate eggs, but I can now. Cauliflower makes my stomach feel bloated and terribly upset. I used to throw up but now I can keep it down, but for about 30 minutes I’m horribly nauseous. 

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

Aasect .org
on 1/12/12 5:32 am
When I eat things like meat it gets stuck, I can't get it down no matter how much chewing I've done. I start to foam and it comes up. It's like I'm bulimic the way I run to the bathroom after eating.
Barb H.
on 1/12/12 7:19 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
This is a really good question. Does anyone know why certain foods just don't go down?
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

hollykim
on 1/12/12 7:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
It can mean both of those things,plus a lot of other "feelings" ,nausea,sliming,foamies...diarrhea

a lot of posters use it to mean "I don"t like..." what ever it is,but that is not a true intolerance. A true intolerance means it causes you to  be sick or have definite issues after eating it.

I feel you,I have to work for every pound but yannow what? I have kept off 85# for nearly two years. Pre WLS,I couldn't keep of lost weight for two hours. Hopefully you will find maintaining your loss to be possible ,too.

Lisarn1
on 1/12/12 8:06 am - Raleigh, NC
The beauty of being able to eat most foods is that it gives you the opportunity to make healthy choices while enjoying what you eat. On those occasions that you have something that isn't as healthy a choice as you might otherwise choose, you can modify the amount of the serving. It's up to you what you decide to eat, when you choose to eat it, how much, how often, and when you might choose to abstain.

Speaking only for myself, this is a lifestyle of choice, not deprivation. You are still so early in your journey. Make it work for you. Lots of luck...
Lisa

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Lisarn1
on 1/12/12 7:57 pm - Raleigh, NC
Sorry, I looked at this post and realized that I didn't really address your question. I was addressing the comment you made about the ability to eat most foods without any problems, but still working hard for weight loss. As for not tolerating some foods, for me it means that it doesn't sit well after eating it. I do get nausea if something is too heavy. I don't really dump often, but that's just me.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

poet_kelly
on 1/12/12 8:13 am - OH
When I say I can't tolerate large amounts of sugar, I mean it causing me to get very ill.  I feel nauseous, I might throw up, I might have diarrhea, I get shaky, I sweat a lot, my heart pounds, I get dizzy and need to lie down.  I think most people mean certain foods make them feel bad in some way.  I don't know of any reason they could not digest those foods, unless they vomited them back up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Leah66
on 1/12/12 10:23 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
 For me it means I'll have to vomit to clear it from my stomach either it won't digest or I get nausea and the foamies, its that way for me with all beef except jerky, some seafood especially raw sashimi and every now and again chicken.
Leah66        
Most Active