whats the best vitamin/mineral & calcium brand for rny

jenfasano
on 1/14/12 9:23 pm - CT
hello all,

I was wondering whats the best brand to take for your vitamins & calcium.  I am six weeks out from surgery and I had RNY? How often should i be taking them also?

Does anyone know of a good protein bar that doesn't taste like garbage? Having a very hard time with protein need all the help i can get!!

What should a typical day look like for me for my meals?  How many calories should i be consuming a day right  now?

WHY is my stomach doing all this gurgling it makes me nauseous!!!!

thanks everyone
Jen
DebsGiz
on 1/14/12 10:04 pm - FL
Can't answer all your questions, but with regard to vitamins, I use Baratric Advantage, which you can order on-line. 

I use them because it's my understanding that they are a quality vitamin, I can order them on-line, and the taste is pleasant.

I'm also lazy when it comes to vitamin shopping, so it also takes all the guess work out of it for me.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 11:09 pm, edited 1/14/12 11:09 pm
OK, I use:
- Bariatric Advantage Complete Multi Formula*  (chewables) 2 a day
- Bariatric Advantage chewable Iron 29 mg with Vit. C (passion fruit) * 1 a day
- Vitacost Vitamin D3 2000 IU capsules 1 a day (available at www.vitacost.com)
- Nature's Bounty B-12 2500 mcg sublingual B-12 1 a day (available at most drug stores)
- MRM Bone Maximizer III (3 capsules a day) Available at www.vitacost.com

*Bariatric Advantage is made by Metagenics, a premier vitamin supplement manufacturer.

I also drink Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle isolated whey protein.  It has zero fat and carbs, 25 mg of protein, and I mix it with water.  And it too is available at vitacost.com. 

I am 2 and a half years post-op.

Best,
Suzne
on 1/15/12 7:27 am - Weaverville, NC
On January 15, 2012 at 5:23 AM Pacific Time, jenfasano wrote:
hello all,

I was wondering whats the best brand to take for your vitamins & calcium.  I am six weeks out from surgery and I had RNY? How often should i be taking them also?

Does anyone know of a good protein bar that doesn't taste like garbage? Having a very hard time with protein need all the help i can get!!

What should a typical day look like for me for my meals?  How many calories should i be consuming a day right  now?

WHY is my stomach doing all this gurgling it makes me nauseous!!!!

thanks everyone
Jen
 I used Bariatric Advantage French Vanilla Multi Vitamin (I really like it) and their Chocolate Chewable Calcium Citrate.  

Quest makes GREAT protein bars if you can afford them.  They taste fabulous, are of great quality and have wonderful ingredients.  They are high protein and can be eaten warm, cold or room temperature.  Some of them are quite high in calories, but others are very acceptable. 

Both of these products can be found online.  Quest will even let you try their bars for free.  Look for them online and they will send you a trial sample of 2 different bars.  

Blessings!
Suzanne

poet_kelly
on 1/15/12 10:07 am - OH
Any multi with 100% of the RDA of most things in it is fine.  You need two a day.

Any brand of calcium citrate is fine, too.  Just not carbonate.  Needs to be citrate.  You need three or four doses a day, 500 mg per dose.

Didn't your doc go over this stuff with you?  You haven't been taking vitamins since surgery?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dena W.
on 1/16/12 5:08 pm - Tarpon Springs, FL
I've taken many different types -- maybe every one available -- in the last 5 years.  I get bored, switch it up from time to time, and am always looking for a better-tasting vitamin! 

Overall, I've been most happy with Bariatric Advantage's product.  You can order online or get from surgeons' offices.  Because I have an issue with being mindful of taking my vitamins, I did enjoy their crystals you add to water.  It contains your multivitamin & calcium -- drink 3 glasses of water with that in it a day and you've got your calcium & multivitamin in.  Requires a separate iron, which they also have as a chewable and it's tasty.  That has been my easiest vitamin regimen thus far (and I still manage to screw it up).  The only thing I don't like about the crystals is that it never seems to fully dissolve in water.  But I still like it better than swallowing horsepills or chewing chalky tablets. 

As for protein bars, my favorite is Power Crunch.  You can get them at Walmart, GNC, Vitamin World, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. 

Did your surgeon's office not provide you with a schedule for how/when to take your vitamins, what to eat, etc.?  That'd be my suggestion for your first go-to to guide you.  Each program is a little different and your best advice would come from there first, in my opinion. 
                                                 Dena
See my YouTube vlogs here:  http://www.youtube.com/user/LiLtinee
Add me as a friend on Facebook:    Dena Waskiewicz               
Starting weight:  297 / Goal weight:  140's / Current weight:  138-143
Lap RNY 3/12/2007 ~ Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck 7/12/2010

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1363 views