What's a couch potato to do???

lamp35
on 1/17/12 5:01 am
One of my biggest concerns about post-op is...."What am I going to do with myself?"

My routine for the last 15 yrs has been, get home at 6:30, sit down at the couch with an unhealthy meal, my laptop and the tv until bedtime.....literally 4-5 hours a night of nothing but sitting on my ass.....it has been a comfort zone to me.

I realize, that post WLS, this will not be an option for two reasons

1) I HAVE to move
2) Once the weight comes off, I dont know that my energy level will allow me to just sit there doing nothing

How did other couch potatoes handle coming out of their sedentary comfort zone after surgery?
Emily F.
on 1/17/12 3:15 am
Its not a sudden change. Its very gradual change. You have to move to change your body the way you want. Meaning for the longest time I went to the gym bc I wanted to lose more weight and tone up. That has now changed to I really love to work out. So that's not a bother.

Also, I'm just interested in more things and able to do more. I now volunteer as a girl scout leader every week and I do more activities with my kid. You will find things you are interested in. I do hear more people volunteering and starting new hobbies.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
GreenGardener
on 1/17/12 3:27 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 You become a grown up and do what you are supposed to do.  Don't mean to be flip, but it really is a choice.  As Yoda says "Do or don't do; there is no try." 
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
MyLady Heidi
on 1/17/12 6:14 am
I typed three posts about why this post offends me so much, but each would have gotten me in a ****load of trouble so I am gonna go with......

DISLIKE
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 6:17 am
 Heidi I back space alot and  plain old .... delete  .. that HIGH road is tuff some times Girl!!  I feel ya! Seen your recent pics  the othe day... Girl your SMOKING!!  Wooot   :)
GreenGardener
on 1/17/12 7:14 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 I understand why you found this offensive - though I didn't mean it to be.  I continually struggle with exercise.  I hate it.  I would much rather lay on the couch.  I can come up with any and every excuse not to move (it's too cold, or too hot, or too dark, or my knee hurts, or it's too late, or i'll get all sweaty, or i can't find my workout clothes, I have to work late, or .. or.. or ....  ) There's always an excuse.  But I do have a choice.  Every day I have a choice.  I don't really think I had a choice around food much of the time because I was driven by body chemistry.  I don't think that applies to being a sloth.  At least in my case.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
lamp35
on 1/17/12 10:46 am
MyLady Heidi
on 1/17/12 5:43 am, edited 1/17/12 5:49 am
Photography is what really got me out and doing things, I love nature photography and if you could have seen me on Sunday down at the river climbing over briars in the freezing cold alone just to get that one perfect shot of my swans you would understand.  None of this existed in my world before, I did everything for my son and then I sat and watched him play sports or have friends over or whatever, I didn't join in any physical stuff, I never really went outside or did anything sports related or even walking.  Thats all completely over now, its 100% different, my idea of fun is hours alone at the river with my camera.  Its amazing what weighing half your former weight will do.

4catz
on 1/17/12 5:58 am
Heidi, your pictures are beautiful..
MyLady Heidi
on 1/17/12 6:06 am
Thanks, I am such a big nature lover, this was so natural for me once my bf bought me a dslr.
Most Active