Anyone know if BC/BS pays for plastic surgery

vlo1823
on 1/31/12 8:53 am - Virginia Beach, VA
So I am sorry if I sound like a dum dum but my husband just got out of the military after 12 years and I know all the rules on what Tricare will and will not pay for but before I call my brand new insurance and sound like a dumb ass can someone offer some advice? Thanks so much!
Someone once told me they'd never trust a skinny chef...I say my fat will never define my mad culinary skills!          ~Height 5'3"~

hollykim
on 1/31/12 9:12 am, edited 1/30/12 9:13 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Some will,but you have to have documented proof of rashes under your breasts or belly flap,things like that that haven't responded to treatment. It has to be deemed "medically necessary'.

good luck and keep us posted

vlo1823
on 1/31/12 9:18 am - Virginia Beach, VA
eesh...all this skin that won't go away...thanks I will keep ya'll posted for sure!!!
Someone once told me they'd never trust a skinny chef...I say my fat will never define my mad culinary skills!          ~Height 5'3"~

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 9:51 am
There is an awesome lady that is an insurance expert at the link in my signature. 
VictoriousSecret
on 1/31/12 10:59 am
I don't know if it will if you fight them, but when I got my BCBS approval letter for RNY surgery, about 2 weeks later, I got an unsolicited letter that only said (not in so many words) "And by the way, don't bother asking us to pay for a panni because we ain't gonna. Not ever never." Hmm.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 1:01 pm - FL
It's interesting...
Mary Catherine
on 1/31/12 9:46 pm
 They would have paid for mine if I could have furnished documented proof of rashes.  I never had any rashes, so self paid.  Keep proof of doctor's treatment and prescriptions used for any rashes and submit for a panni when the time comes.  There is no never ever with insurance companies.  The rules and review boards are always changing.  That letter you received is just someone's cost saving idea to intimidate people not to ask.

Even if dnied when you ask, many times they will break down and pay if you keep appealing.  Especially if you are sweet and kind to the people who answer the phone.
MichelleNC
on 2/2/12 9:29 pm
 I have BC BS federal and was told they won't pay without medical need. Get in good with your primary care dr? My friend is going to the dr monthly and her dr is documenting it. She said her stomach will eventually get passed arms might be harder. Good luck to you!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

paranoidmother21
on 2/2/12 10:54 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
I have BCBS-IL through an HMO, and they paid for everything in my siggy. My daughter has BCBS-IL, and they exclude WLS and any reconstructive surgery stemming from it.

It's not about the insurance company itself, it's about who is paying for the insurance (and regardless of what we pay into it, it's actually not us). Who is providing the BCBS - is it your employer or your husband's? Call their HR department and get a look at the actual coverage. That will tell you what the company providing the insurance agreed to cover, and if there is anything you can do in your case to get it done.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

vlo1823
on 2/5/12 6:53 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 My husband got this insurance coverage via his new job. I wil do some inquiring I just wanted to know what y'all had to say :) 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1321 views