11 mos post op and plateaued...HELP

Melin71
on 2/2/12 10:06 am - LA
 Lemme start off by saying that this surgery has changed my life, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Having said that....wtf is wrong with me?!  I started at 253 pounds, and currently weigh 170 pounds.  At my 6 mos. post op visit, I told my Dr. that I wasn't doing anything in the way of exercise, and he told me to start.  So I did.  I have been diligent, working out anywhere between 3-5 days a week.  The norm for me is 5.  I do the Firm workouts and I do abs 2 days a week and weights the other 3.  The weights I use range from 5 to 15 pounds.  I CANNOT get the freaking scale to move.  My dr is precious, but he stated at my 9 month post op visit that he would have thought that I would have lost more weight than what I have.  I don't get it.  I'm compliant.  I'm working out.  I am, admittedly, obsessed with the number.  I'm not a snacker.  I need HELP!  I very much enjoy using weights and would very much appreciate some information regarding the amount of protein/carbs/sugar one should take in.  Thank you so much in advance!!
 Melin
Pammy S.
on 2/2/12 10:19 am - New River, AZ
 I too have a time where my weight does not move.  Then it starts moving again.  It could be that with the exercise your body is getting use to it.  & you will gain some muscle with the work outs.  & if u are using weights then I think that is what is going on with you.  Sounds like you've done a wonderful job with your weight loss so far.  I too started out at around the same weight I was 254 I'm only 6wks out from surgery & I'm down 31 Pd's.  I wish I was at 170.  You said its been 11 months for you to get there.  I was trying to see how long it would take me to get around 165 so this give me some kind of idea too.  Hang in there I'm sure you start losing soon.  Hugs 
Melin71
on 2/2/12 10:37 am - LA
 Thank you, Pam!  31#s...that's AWESOME!  It's just dragging for me.  My gf is 9 mos out, doesn't exercise, is admittedly noncompliant, and is withering away before my eyes.  I don't get it.  I'm super stoked for her, and she and I have discussed it in length, so I don't want anyone thinking I'm throwing her under the bus....it's just really frustrating to me.  Maybe I should just shut my former pie/current protein hole and just go with the flow.  Thanks again, sweetie!
 Melin
MsBatt
on 2/2/12 10:40 am
How many weeks you've lost neither pounds nor inches? Four or more?

You started out at 253, with a goal weight of 135---that means you had an excess weight of 118 pounds. You've lost 83 of those, or 71% of your excess weight---and in less than a year! Sounds like you're doing pretty good, to me.

AnneGG
on 2/2/12 10:51 am
Keep on plugging! And maybe increase your exercise intensity and duration.

I had a 6 week plateau at the 11 month point.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

samsander
on 2/2/12 1:08 pm - CA
Keep plugging indeed.... Just do similar things to what you did to lose so far. I was SURE I was done 4 months ago (i am 16 months out)... But have managed to lose 20 pounds slowly without even noticing.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 1:37 pm - FL
Well with a target  weight of 135---that means you had an excess weight of 118 pounds. You've lost 83 of those, or 71% of your excess weight---and in less than a year! Sounds like you're doing pretty good, to me.
Melin71
on 2/2/12 10:43 pm - LA
Thank you all so much for the advice....and for breaking the numbers down for me..lol.  When i look at the big picture, I'm ashamed that I'm whining, but I just want to reach my max potential, ya know...?  I recently increased my weights, so maybe that'll help.  I've managed to lose 1 whole pound since christmas.  Hey...at least it's not a gain, huh?  LOL  Thanks again, and have a great Friday.
 Melin
Koko10
on 2/3/12 7:21 am - NC
I was told to increase my protein when I get a stall. It does seem to help me. Try it and see if you see a difference. Oh yeah, try to get all of your liquids in as well.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140