For those counting carbs do you count total carbs or net?

michele1
on 2/15/12 8:57 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Hello!

For those of you counting carbs do you count total carbs or net carbs?

From what I understand to count net carbs you minus the fiber grams from the total carb grams.  But for me it isn't making sense....so what do you all do and what works for you?

Thanks for the help......I think lowering my carbs are one way I can get off a 25 pound gain now that I am 50 LOL..... I want to get back to my 90 pound loss and counting my calories (1100 a day) and working out 5 days a week isn't doing it. 

Thanks again,

Michele

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Jolly Rancher
on 2/15/12 9:18 am
It's generally a personal choice. Especially when it comes to those things like Dreamsfield pasta that has lotsa lotsa carbs, but they say all but so many are protected.

Some subtract fiber and sugar ALCOHOLS from the total carbs and count those as net carbs. Others track them all.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
michele1
on 2/15/12 11:35 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Thanks Janice, I guess I will just have to see what works for me........I like the idea of  net carbs so I might start with that and then if it doesn't work well then go to total carbs...... Thanks again!

Michele

M M
on 2/15/12 9:28 am
 To figure out the net carbs, you simply take the total number of carbohydrates (5 grams) and subtract the total amount of dietary fiber (3 grams). So, one serving of these almonds has 2 net carbs. Had there been any sugar alcohol content, that figure would have also been subtracted from the total. For example, consider the nutrition facts for a CarbSelect Pria Power Bar:
  • Calories: 170
  • Fat: 8 grams
  • Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
  • Sodium: 160 milligrams
  • Total Carbs: 21 grams (Dietary Fiber: 2 grams; Sugars: 1 gram; Sugar Alcohol: 17 grams)
  • Protein: 10 grams

This pretty tasty snack also has 2 net carbs. If you take the total carb count (21 grams) and subtract the dietary fiber and sugar alcohol content (2 grams + 17 grams = 19 grams), you're left with a mere 2 net grams of carbs!

michele1
on 2/15/12 11:41 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Awesome thanks for the input, I like the idea of net carbs.....I would like to keep it under 50 to start (so technicaly not low carb) but  it would allow me to have some fruit........I am going to count calories also........ need to get this gain off......

That bar sounds awesome........if it is gluten free I am on it LOL......

Once again thanks for the information!!!!

Michele
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/15/12 11:07 am
When you count carbs you usually count net carbs.  Total carbs less fiber less sugar alcohols.
If you are going to reduce carbs reduce white carbs,  sugar, flour, white potatoes, white rice.

Winnie

michele1
on 2/15/12 11:43 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Awesome Winnie great advice thanks!!!!! So that means all the good stuff LOL!

Michele
ruggie
on 2/15/12 2:01 pm - Sacramento, CA
Subtract fiber from total carbs.

You don't process fiber, you don't derive energy from it (calories) and they largely never affect your blood sugar.  

Remember you need fiber for normal digestion, as well as for reduction of odds of getting colon cancer.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

michele1
on 2/16/12 2:14 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Great advice, thanks! Keep forgetting about colon cancer.....I am at that age now to be tested LOL........

Michele
tripmom02
on 2/15/12 9:34 pm - NJ
 I do total, I have PCOS and my body processes good and bad carbs in just about the same way so I would be doing myself a disservice if I only counted net carbs. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active