Mexican band removed

Pegray
on 2/21/12 9:23 am - Rogersville, MO
 Can anyone help me I am trying get a lapband removed that was put in in Mexico. I have had the band 9.5 years did really good then started having severe heartburn resulting in removing most of the fluid making for no restriction and weight gain. Has anyone had a band removed that was placed in Mexico to have a revision to VSG and got a US doctor to do the revision since the band was done in Mexico.. If so, would insurance pay for the procedure since it is from Mexico?
Hope this is not too confusing. Any help would be appreciated. 

cerodzmrl
on 2/21/12 9:33 am
I had my "Mexican Lap-Band" removed by a US doctor in Atlanta, GA. I found a bariatric doctor that was willing to listen to me and help. I know you are in MO, so I would contact bariatric doctors in your area and explain that you are wanting to have it removed. When it is a removal they are willing to help. What the doctors didn't like was adjusting my band or taking me on as a patient,  since they had not done initial surgery and were not sure what they were working with.
KatEric23
on 2/21/12 9:50 am - York, PA

Have you thought about having it revised in Mexico? This is what I am doing. Same issue kind of. Can't find my "sweet spot". Either I'm too tight and I get pain or too loose and gain! Looking to get a revision to the DS. I just assumed that NO USA doc will touch it and if I did find one, it would be rediculously expensive! Keep us posted!

cheynne03
on 2/21/12 10:26 am - West Monroe, LA

You are looking to get a DS in Mexico.  You need to visit the DS boards here. 

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

KatEric23
on 2/21/12 10:32 am - York, PA
Yes. I am planning to go back to my lap band surgeon. Something I should know??
cheynne03
on 2/21/12 9:51 pm - West Monroe, LA
I know absolutely nothing about the DS, however I do know that it is a very extensive surgery and that there are not that many docs that do it and do it correctly.  I would just do a lot of checking before I committed to a doctor.  I'm sorry I am not inferring anything about your doctor, I just don't know.

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

KatEric23
on 2/21/12 10:34 pm - York, PA
Oh ok. I will check it out. I thought maybe there were horror stories out there I needed to know about. I just knew I felt so comfortable with my band surgeon, I would like to go back to him. I know he does the DS revision but I'm not sure how many he has done. Maybe I should look into that more.
Hey Jules
on 2/21/12 11:41 pm
On February 22, 2012 at 6:34 AM Pacific Time, KatEric23 wrote:
Oh ok. I will check it out. I thought maybe there were horror stories out there I needed to know about. I just knew I felt so comfortable with my band surgeon, I would like to go back to him. I know he does the DS revision but I'm not sure how many he has done. Maybe I should look into that more.
 YES!! There are many horror stories that I have read here from people going to Mexico for a DS with an unvetted surgeon who has claimed to do the DS. It is a VERY difficult surgery to perform, especially a revision. The only vetted Mexican surgeon that should be trusted to get a real DS is Dr. Gilberto Ungson.

Please do more research. I typed in "Mexican DS" in th search bar up in the corner and immediately found this: (I'm sure there are lots more, but this one sums it up very nicely.)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/4191989/Which-Mexic an-Docs-Perform-DS/

Also, please check out www.dsfacts.com and http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
for more info.

Good luck!
Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Pegray
on 2/22/12 9:12 pm - Rogersville, MO
 I have but would really like to have my insurance pay for the VGS this time around. The only reason I went to Mexico in 2002 was my insurance would pay for a gastric bypass at the time but not the band. I was scared to get that drastic. 
The doctor in Mexico did an excellent job and from what the facility where i have my fills says the band is situated right where it needs to be. but the heartburn is unbearable with restriction.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1277 views