diet pills?

Liz C.
on 2/22/12 12:19 pm - DE
BEFORE you all jump all over me i'm not taking diets pills!!!

I am asking about this because a friend of mine who is over 3yrs out (and has done great with wl) started to take hydroxycut (sp?) and that worries me....

does anyone know if diet pills are safe for gastric bypass ppl???

Starting weight from 8/7/09- pre op and post op!

RNY Surgery on 2/22/10- weightloss post op! 

LeeLee72
on 2/22/12 12:34 pm - Niagara Falls, NY
I'm pre-op..so I cant speak with any experience..but really..are diet pills good for ANYBODY? i took them..not hydroxycut..but some from dr and yeah..i lost weight...i also lost my hair and he said that if i took them too long, it would mess up my kidneys (or something that i know didn't sound too good). I stopped after 3 months and said i'd never do it again because they made my heart flutter too.  but of course...just MY own personal opinion :)

AnneGG
on 2/22/12 12:39 pm
Man, I sure wouldn't do them. Not sure about the effect on a WLS person. I can't imagine it would be good.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

momjan
on 2/22/12 12:53 pm - Canada
Your friend has the tool she needs by having the gastric surgery.  Maybe she should start journalling her food intake and see what amounts of proteins, fats, carbs, sugars she is actually eating and correct those items.

Most people start by eating slider foods, drinking with meals, eating sugar, eating 'bad white stuff - potatoes, rice, crackers, breads, etc and  start gaining weight.  By going back to clean eating she can refocus her eating habits and lose the weight she may have gained.

She can also try the 5 day pouch test and retune her tool!  It usually gets people back on track.

Wish her the best from fellow wlsers.
Liz C.
on 2/22/12 6:07 pm - DE
What gets to me is that she does eat good and still drinks 2 protein shakes a day!  She just said she feels like doing good along with a diet pills will be even better.... i'm no so sure

Starting weight from 8/7/09- pre op and post op!

RNY Surgery on 2/22/10- weightloss post op! 

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/22/12 6:19 pm - Burleson, TX

LIZ-my guess is that she gets some "pep" from the extra B vtamins and caffeine in the pills. As long as she-and whomever takes them AS PRESCRIBED-they are usually not harmful. People get into trouble when they take take many/too long/don't eat/etc/etc/etc. Your friend sounds smarter than that.

You are a good friend to be concerned about her, though.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

nccarolinagirl
on 2/22/12 9:10 pm - Liberty, NC
I saw that these pills are back on the shelves. I personally wouldnt because I worked at a lab when a soldier collapsed during a run. I was told that his heart exploded and he had been taking those. I cant say for certain but I do know the pathologist wouldnt be saying if it werent true. Ive been doing a metabolic formula prior to working out and it gives me energy. Its called Thermovex.

Bette B.
on 2/23/12 12:50 am
 If diet pills were safe and effective over the long haul, they'd be TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Valerie G.
on 2/23/12 2:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 IMO - if someone is taking diet pills over wls, there are some deep rooted issues to work with.  

WLS should be all a person needs if they work it effectively.  If they continue to sabotage themselves, they will be constantly chasing their tails for life.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lanunes
on 2/23/12 5:19 pm - CA
Most diet pill aren't safe for people without surgery. Hydroxycut was banned for sometime. I remember hearing about it on the news and seeing some in my moms cupboard. I immediately threw them away when I say them. They have  harmful effects on your liver, kidneys and heart. They also are not FDA approved. Our poor bodies have been through so much being obese for so long, why put your body through the harmful effects of this drug.
      Leslie Nunes              
Most Active