Insurance Coverage after Gastric Bypass

mrschriscross
on 2/23/12 5:09 am - Oswego, NY
 I was just wondering if anyone had their insurance cover a Tummy Tuck (or something similar). I have also heard about CareCredit has anyone used that as well. I don't have good credit but my husband does not sure if I can have him get it. I def. need to get something done as I am becoming depressed from not being able ot find pants that fit due to the excess skin starting to hang into the top of my pant legs. For a split second I almost wished I didn't have the surgery haha. Again for a split second I thought it. Life is so much better now and I know it's just skin but I am really self consious about it. I am not looking for any negativity. I am in the process of getting into a psychiatrist as well. 
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Heather :o)
on 2/23/12 5:29 am
I had a full abdominoplasty with muscle tightening and repositioning of umbilicus on 1/24/12. Insurance covered it all, I just had to pay my deductible.

Care credit I will look into for future surgeries if I decide to have them but I need to research it more. They usually have specials like my surgeons office told me care credit is doing 18 months interest free, but I assume its probably like interest free furniture purchases, if its not paid off in 18 months interest gets charged back to the first day. Thats just my guess, I am sure someone has better info. Anyway care credit has a high  interest rate from what I remember last time I looked into it.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
LolaB
on 2/23/12 6:23 am - NY
VSG on 01/23/13
PBI, Sun what did you have to do to get insurance to cover your surgery? What type of insurance do you have and how much weight did you lose?

"If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete." Siddhartha Gautama

mrschriscross
on 2/23/12 8:21 am - Oswego, NY
 I too would like to know Sun if you don't mind sharing :)
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW

Heather :o)
on 2/24/12 8:44 am
I lost 115 lbs. I had my surgeon write a letter that was general and talked about prescribing nystatin for rashes, I had an EXCELLENT letter from my chiropracter about all of the skin and what it is doing to my spine and posture and how it will impact my health, etc. I wa svery impressed with it. I also had to pose for embarassing pics lol, and then go back once more for more embarassing pics bc the first set didnt show redness.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
LeeLee72
on 2/23/12 7:01 am - Niagara Falls, NY
I'd like to know how to get them to cover a tummy tuck too! When my insurance carrier sent me my approval letter, they said that loose skin is expected and they wont cover it :(

I used CareCredit for my lasik surgery.  I got 24 months to pay it off otherwise they charge back the interest.  And its a NASTY interest rate too!! So ...if you use them...just be sure that you pay it off in time.

I havent even done the surgery yet and I already know that I am going to get a tummy tuck lol...by whatever means necessary.

Dorathea
on 2/23/12 7:49 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
Depends on your insurance.  Some will consider it cosmetic, while others may allow it for medical reasons.  For instance, if the skin folds are causing you lots of problems, such as infection and such.  You'd have to check with your insurance to see if it would be a possibility.  Good luck!

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

mrschriscross
on 2/23/12 8:21 am - Oswego, NY
 I am switching to Excellus- Hmo Blue as the first of March. I am hoping I did good in picking them. I don't really have rashes, but do have itching occasionally plus it gets sweaty in the fold. Sorry if TMI. I just know I wil NEVER be able to pay for it out of pocket. 

If anyone has had insurance cover it what were the reasons they covered it? (rashes etc). Has anyone had insurance cover it with out any?

HW / SW / CW / GW

SandieMc49
on 2/23/12 10:04 pm
Ummmm, let's say you DO get rashes from the sweating (and in the hot weather you are bound to).  You want to start documenting everything you do, everything you buy, and how the condition effects/restricts your life!

Make an appointment with your PCP - start documenting your basis for insurance-approval of at least a panniculectomy!  I did.  I kept receipts of everything I bought over the counter.  I obtained receipts of everything I had a prescription for - to treat the rash.  I had my surgeon's office take a picture of my rash at its worst!  I got approved with no problem - it was NOT cosmetic, it was medically necessary.

Best advice - START NOW!  It may not be a big deal now - but it most likely will get worse.

Good luck to you,
    Sandie

fit2lose
on 2/23/12 9:48 pm - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
I know for my insurance you have to prove that the extra skin hinders normal activity or if it starts to get infected.  Anytime you have some visable signs on the skin I would get it documented by a doctor and talk with your insurance to see just what kind of "proof" you need to convince them.  They should have an exact policy around it and should be able to give you a copy of that policy.
Most Active