HELP! Four Years Since Ive been Here.

100less
on 2/23/12 7:40 pm - Stafford, VA

You are going to think I am a fool. I have not been here for about 4 years. (Please have mercy it has been a VERY hard 4 years. )

I have not been taking my protein for 4 years. Somewhere over these years, I have slowly ignored the fact that I am a WLS patient and cannot live like normal person.

Little over 4  years ago I moved to a new state and stopped seeing the gastric surgeon for follow ups. I was seeing a hematologist weekly for severe anemia and assumed he was watching my other levels.

I had 2 heart surgeries, serious anemia problems (about 15 blood transfusions) and a lot of family problems ( A LOT) and somewhere in all the mess  I slowly lost sight of my nutritional needs.

I got my heart fixed, got the anemia under control (I’ll share that story in another post), take a lot of supplements, got off several hearts meds so I felt I was moving in the right direction.

This last year I have gained 50 lbs! I was still experiencing a lot fatigue (for once not as result of heart or anemia).

In the last four months  the following have started or gotten worse:

~ my hair started falling out. I have a huge bald spot.

~ constant hunger and sweet cravings

~ daily dumping

~ Sores ( almost like bed sores) in embarrassing places that will not heal

~   horrible scaly scalp

~ cuts not healing,

~ joint pains

~ stabbing bone pains

~  insomnia BIG TIME

~ Unable to think clear,

~ unorganized (I’m usually VERY organized)

~  irritable

So I went to a doctor thinking I had a thyroid problem. All test normal. I thought maybe it hormonal (change, I’m 55) and I need to see another doctor.

Then last night a friend called to tell me about a nutritional seminar she attended and the importance of protein. The light bulb went off. OMG!!! I haven’t been taking protein drinks this explains EVERYTHING!

What an idiot I have been.  God only knows what damage I have done. I’m amazed I’m not worse.

I went to Walmart and got whey and started in last night. I dumped. I think I might need lactose free whey so I  ordered Jay Robb Whey Vanilla online., Before I moved I was really good about taking daily protein (auto shipped to my house).

Regular doctors are WLS ignorant. They all ignore  nutritional problems. I will call my primary dr today and make an apt with a gastric doctor. We live in a rural area so I’ll have to drive 1.5 hour to get to one..

Over the years I was diagnosed a(almost accidently) with super low D and potassium & mag deficiency. You would think I would have realized the problem way before now (lost my mind)

I don’t even remember how much protein I should be taking. I’m aiming 100 g a day for now. I’m writing at 5 am.  Night before last I slept 3 hours. Last night maybe 4.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will talk for me get my protein up? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for listening.

southernlady5464
on 2/23/12 9:19 pm
Sorry things have gotten bad but (and I'm saying this cause altho we've never met before, you are a fellow member of the WLS community) WHAT IN THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!!!

I am glad you came back, now go contact Vitalady (call her office and they will put you in touch with her...she's is WAY behind in emails) and let her get you back on track...Please listen to what she says and make sure you have a COMPLETE set of labs done.

Here are some links to get you started:
http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaladysPre-op_i deas_11-2009.doc

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaLadysLabsandT argets_11-2009.doc

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramPRNY2-2010.pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramChewable2-2010.pdf

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ArticlesonK2Poste dbyVitalady.pdf

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

bowknot
on 2/23/12 9:29 pm
{{{LIKE}}}
100less
on 2/23/12 10:31 pm, edited 2/23/12 10:46 pm - Stafford, VA

Wow, thanks for the support. I just burst into tears (I never cry, guess it’s another symptom).

I feel like I walked into an AA meeting and said Hello I'm Jane and everyone screamed at me for coming to an AA meeting.

I don't know WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING. Thats why I'm here.

Maybe I have deep death wish, I don't know WHY.

I don't know why I gained over 100 lbs that made me so fat I had to mutilate my body to fix it. I don't know why I am alomost the same weight again.

Was it was because my husband left me for another woman? Is it becasue my mother AND father both dies unexpectedly in the last 3 years? Was it because I was too busy taking care of 7 children and 8 grandchildren? and a farm by myself. Is it because I have had more stress in my life than 100 others? I don't do not know why I am in this situation.

I was hoping for a little gentler help.

I sincerely thank you for the files.
AnneGG
on 2/23/12 10:50 pm
It sounds as though you have been having a very hard time with lots of things, not just your health, Would it help to get some good counseling?

(((hugs)))

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

southernlady5464
on 2/23/12 11:24 pm
On February 24, 2012 at 6:31 AM Pacific Time, 100less wrote:

Wow, thanks for the support. I just burst into tears (I never cry, guess it’s another symptom).

I feel like I walked into an AA meeting and said Hello I'm Jane and everyone screamed at me for coming to an AA meeting.

I don't know WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING. Thats why I'm here.

Maybe I have deep death wish, I don't know WHY.

I don't know why I gained over 100 lbs that made me so fat I had to mutilate my body to fix it. I don't know why I am alomost the same weight again.

Was it was because my husband left me for another woman? Is it becasue my mother AND father both dies unexpectedly in the last 3 years? Was it because I was too busy taking care of 7 children and 8 grandchildren? and a farm by myself. Is it because I have had more stress in my life than 100 others? I don't do not know why I am in this situation.

I was hoping for a little gentler help.

I sincerely thank you for the files.
I do admire your coming in and asking for help...that takes lots of courage...

I could have done the pat on the head/sugar coating but I wouldn't have your attention...and yes, I do want you well but you have to do your part...get your labs so you know where you stand and then call Vitalady, let her put you back on track.

And no, it's more like, (using the AA anology) why haven't you been at the last 100 meetings since your surgery?

And apparently you don't have a death wish or you would not have posted in the first place...

As far as your weight gain...without absolute vigilance, after the first 18-24 months, you will regain as your intestines will "correct" itself and start reabsorbing food. It won't go back to reabsorbing vitamins and minerals tho, just the calories of the food.

All your stressors need help, by putting yourself first. Losing one parent is hard enough, I can not imagine having lost both of them so close together.

We all have stress. But we have to learn to deal with  it without food or we put ourselves back where we started. The WLS is a tool, not a fix....you have to fix your head as much as your guts.

And you are more than welcome for the files...

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

AnneGG
on 2/23/12 10:33 pm
OMG, thank you for your cautionary tale underlining the importance of taking care of ourselves over the long term post-op! What consequences you suffer for not taking care of yourself!

I am glad you are starting to take care of yourself now. All I can say is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue to do so!!!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

A. Holt
on 2/23/12 10:54 pm
You are on the right track!!

Get your protein up and keep taking your supplements.  Low protein will cause your labs to tank.

You need to enter your labs on a spread sheet so YOU can see what it coming up or refusing to come up.  Know your labs and depend on yourself, just use your Dr.'s to get what you need ordered.

Here is a good place for lab info:  www.labtestsonline.org

Remember, my dear, you cannot help anyone else if you are ill, take care of yourself first so you can weather the storms.

I second Vitalady, she is more helpful than any RD or NUT I have ever seen.
loverofcats
on 2/23/12 11:05 pm, edited 2/23/12 11:07 pm

southern lady is right. You need to get back on your supplements. All of your symptoms point to multiple vitamin and protein deficiencies that you need to correct. You need a good multivitamin, B12, B1 (thiamine, without this vitamin, you can develop severe neurological damage that is permanent), Calcium citrate (You will develop osteoporosis without calcium and your teeth will also fall out), Vitamin D, Iron, and everything else that is on the list. Protein is important and perhaps, by focussing on getting in more protein, you may start feeling better.

Stress is horrible for our bodies and souls. If you can do it, counseling would be very helpful. You have been under tremendous stress and need some help, so that you can take care of yourself and other people in your life. Starting with yourself is the first place to begin.

Harsh? Maybe, but sugar coating the tremendous damage the protein and vitamin deficiencies are causing to your body and soul would not be helpful at all.

It takes a lot of strength and courage to ask for help, so I hope some of the suggestions help you. Kudos for asking for help and recognizing the need to get back on track.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

LaughingCow
on 2/23/12 11:16 pm - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Just grabbed my protein shake b/c of your post...
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1345 views