Side effects of Prednisone after WLS???

rhondanewme
on 2/25/12 6:03 am - Grantsboro, NC
Yesterday I was diagnosed with a torn or badly pulled hip flexor muscle. I had been in terrible pain since Wednesday and so was glad to get a diagnosis, BUT i am worried about possible side effects from the 10 day course of steroids I was put on.

Since Thanksgiving, I had slowly allowed carb creep to happen and by February had gained 8-9 lbs! When ever this started before I nipped it in the bud after 2-3 lbs by going back to high protein low carb eating and getting in all my water. Solved the problem every time. This time I seemed unable to get on track. I'd promise myself "no more chips, crackers, cookies, etc." then not follow through. Finally this week I have felt in control, no cravings, no overeating, no late night snacks calling my name. Just good clean high protein, good carbs, and tons of water. Then I get put on this prednisone!

I'm just concerned that after finally gaining control again, this may throw me off track. I so want to lose this gain and not go there again. At the same time, I need to get this injury healed so I can back to work and back to exercising.
Also, I'm concerned about any other side effects that might be related to WLS patients.
Any help, suggestions, experience with steroids??

Thanks,
Rhonda
  HW- 297      SW- 280      GW- 178       LW-  184      CW- 190

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
Carol S.
on 2/25/12 8:14 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Okay, a lot of people have complained about long term effects of steroids but the short bursts have never bothered me nor have they caused any weight gain.  I've always felt like the steroids worked well, and quickly and took care of the swelling that was causing my pain.

The long term use of steroids is usually what causes the weight gain that you've heard about.

Ditch the junk food too, get it out of your house.  It doesn't help your healing either.  Whole foods and protein will help you more than anything.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

rhondanewme
on 2/25/12 9:10 am - Grantsboro, NC
Thanks Carol. They certainly do seem to be working- the pain is much less than yesterday. I have been doing so well with my eating all week that I was really concerned this would throw me off track again, but so far so good. I am glad to hear that short term use has not caused you any gain or other problems. Sounds like you have plenty of experience so I really appreciate your response! And yes I am trying to get in lots of protein and lots of fluids, and have no desire for any junk. That's what I was afriad of losing- the lack of desire for those junk foods. They are no longer calling my name after a week of not eating them and I SO want to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Rhonda

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
Hislady
on 2/25/12 10:41 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Carol, I have lung issues and have to periodically take steroids. I may gain a few pounds but it seems to come right off once I get off the steroids. It does increase your appetite but if you eat healthy low cal foods you shouldn't have much trouble. Also seems to depend on how strong the dose is, I also get horrid headaches the first few days while my body adjusts. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

rhondanewme
on 2/25/12 10:59 pm - Grantsboro, NC
Thanks for the advice Hislady. So far, so good- no headaches, hunger, or other side effects. But I am just starting the 3rd day so we'll see!

Thanks again,
Rhonda

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
hazelnut6
on 2/25/12 9:38 pm
I recently had to do a course of prednisone due to a severe migraine attack.  I wanted to eat, eat, eat but my pouch would not let me, thank goodness and my mind still had enough control that I went for the protein and stayed away from the carbs.  I did not gain a pound...I actually lost some weight because I had extreme nausea at times from the migraine itself.  I did have a lot of water retention but after I finished my taper-down and went off the steroids, that was gone within a few days.

Drink lots of water and stay away from drinks like gatoraid, poweraid  (sugar free or not)  I read that prednisone and and these drinks do not mix.....it raises your potassium level dangerously high.  Stick to plain water or crystal lite.

rhondanewme
on 2/25/12 11:02 pm - Grantsboro, NC
Thanks for your response Hazelnut. That's very encouraging. I am drinking tons of water with Crystal lite and will definitely stay away from the drinks you mentioned.

Thanks again,
Rhonda

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
ruggie
on 2/26/12 2:50 am - Sacramento, CA
Prednisone makes you hungry.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

rhondanewme
on 2/26/12 11:32 am - Grantsboro, NC
Yeah that's what I've always heard, and that's what worried me. But so far so good and I'm hoping it stays that way!
Most Active