5 years out & I need HELP

SHELI T.
on 2/28/12 1:49 am - RAEFORD, NC
Hello, I had gastric bypass 5 years ago.  I recently lost my job & I've been home more than I use to be.  I am here today because I need help.  I have been gaining weight. It seems like nothing I do is helping. If anyone has any advice or sugguestions I'd love to hear it.  Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 1:58 am
Sheli, a 12 step support group may be really helpful.  Clearly the stresses of life have a toll and we oftern revert back to our old ways.  Such groups as O.A. can be a blessing.  We cannot do it alone!  :)

Best,
twelvegates
on 2/28/12 2:02 am, edited 2/28/12 2:03 am
VSG on 02/13/12

I'm very new at this.

Not not not trying to be judgmental, but additional information is needed to provide support:

1) What is you daily calorie/protein/carb intake?

2) How much water do you consume each day?

3) Are you exercising? If so, much per day or week? And what type of exercise?

4) What do YOU think you are doing that might be affecting your weight?

Hang in there, help is coming!!

Age: 54  HT: 5'9"  Starting wt: 304  Surgery wt: 282 Current wt: 203 Goal wt: 150 
2 Wk Preop: -22 Mo 1: -17 Mo 2: -11 Mo 3: -11 Mo 4: -12
Mo 5: -7 Mo 6: -5 Mo 7: -7
Mo 8: -4 Mo 9: -5 Mo 10: -0 Mo 11: -0 Mo 12: in progress

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/12 3:39 am
You can exercise.  A lot. Now you have time. Get busy.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hedrider
on 2/28/12 3:57 am - Midlothian, TX
So, for you to be gaining weight two things probably happened.  You are either eating more calories, exercising less or any combination of the two.

Only you know which it is and that will tell you how to fix it!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

AnneGG
on 2/28/12 4:37 am
Diet and exercise and more exercise, and keep yourself busy! Stay active no matter what you feel like.

It works! Keep taking care of yourself!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Carol S.
on 2/28/12 5:00 am - Milwaukee, WI
 All of what the above have said.

Find an exercise you love.  Zumba, running, swimming, biking, whatever, just move and do it often.

You deserve good food in your body, only buy good stuff.  Fast food is garbage and you deserve the best, so eat well.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Linda_S
on 2/28/12 10:57 am - Eugene, OR
I'm about the same distance out from surgery as you are.  I think we tend to try to normalize ourselves this far out from surgery.  We try to eat normal food on normal plates, and we find foods that smoosh up pretty easily so that we can fit them in.  Try going back to the types of things you ate after your initial recovery from WLS.  I tried to eat two hard-boiled eggs for breakfast one day and discovered I could only eat one and a couple bites.  Your stomach hasn't really stretched all that much . . . you've just found a way to slide your food through without feeling that restriction.  Get out and walk every day that you can.  I know looking for a job is work, but make the time to exercise.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen