OFF TOPIC - BUT, I NEED HELP

Kim Meeks
on 4/3/12 1:50 am - lubbock, TX
my sweet husband recently had shoulder surgery for a slap tear (which is similar to a rotator cuff repair) and he can NOT get comfortable to sleep

does ANYONE have any thoughts or ideas

he's exhausted from sleeping in the recliner - where he's been for about 6 weeks or so
he can lay down in the bed - but, can NOT get comfortaable - i've tried pillows but, maybe not the right combination

i dont know
i'm out of ideas
and my heart hurts for him
he is so tired

please advise

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

Michelle T.
on 4/3/12 2:17 am - OH
Wedge pillows usually do the trick after upper body surgeries. He can also use individual pillows to support the arm of the shoulder he had surgery on. (taking the pressure off of his shoulder.)  He'll be able to sleep on his back without feeling like he's sleeping in the recliner. I hope this helps! :)

m ~
parisagol
on 4/3/12 4:25 am - MD
RNY on 10/08/12 with
 Hi, my husband had the same surgery,same problem, even strong pain medicine couldn't help. He talked to his doctor and the doctor gave him sleep medicine and it was helpful. But let me tell you it's been  two years now but he still has pain, but not as much as first 2-3 months.
LindaScrip
on 4/3/12 6:40 am
I feel his pain as a person who had 3 shoulder surgeries in one year yes three long story try a body pillow its about 3 ft long ask to try neurontin its not a narcotic it really helped me . Did he have to do physical therapy? You may want to try ice packs for about 1/2 hour that will calm the shoulder down yes calm the shoulder because keep in mind its newly cut muscle. Hope he feels better soon, They also have whats called a stim which is pretty good in the healing process.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/12 8:36 am
For me I needed 3-4  pillows - 1 for my head (side sleeper - firm) one for my back - so I do not roll over my back and one - very firm for my front side - firm yet soft - so my arm was in neutral position. (The problem was keeping the cat off that pillow) She claimed it as her so she can be just by my side.
I had to buy new firm king size pillow to support my front - so I would not roll over.

And lets not forget a small pillow to be placed between my thighs to keep my lower back straight.
First 3-4 weeks I use my sling so my arm would be some how restricted.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/12 9:30 am - San Antonio, TX
 If you find anything that works let me know. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and have yet to find a comfortable sleeping position. I've alternated between the recliner and bed. I've tried all sorts of pillows and also a wedge. I haven't tried a body pillow though. I do find if I keep my immobilizer on it helps a little. I'm seeing my surgeon for my 6 week follow up tomorrow and I'm going to ask his advice. It's miserable trying to work on only a couple of hours of sleep a night.