Painful Extra Skin?

Jay Cockerel
on 4/9/12 12:08 am - Leitchfield, KY
Hey guys! Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

I had lap band surgery in November 2010. Since then I have lost about 100 lbs.

I have extra skin on my abdomen, and recently it's been causing pain. Specifically around my navel and my lower abdomen where the skin folds over my waist. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I correct in thinking that it's the extra skin causing the pain? Or Could it be something that I haven't thought of? I have ruled out any complications with my band because the pain isn't around my injection port or stomach. I've made an appointment to see my family doctor, but I wanted to check on here to see if anyone had any thoughts or experience with what's going on. Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

lesserman
on 4/9/12 1:49 am - Chicago, IL
What steps have you taken/are you taking to mitigate/cope with your current condition?

I only ask because I fear that this may be a concern of mine after I've lost a comparable amount of weight...other posts have mentioned that much can be done with constrictive garments and apparrel...

Hoping that this poses enough of a health risk that your insurance covers whatever cosmetic procedure may be required to correct it...
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Jay Cockerel
on 4/9/12 11:47 pm - Leitchfield, KY
On April 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM Pacific Time, lesserman wrote:
What steps have you taken/are you taking to mitigate/cope with your current condition?

I only ask because I fear that this may be a concern of mine after I've lost a comparable amount of weight...other posts have mentioned that much can be done with constrictive garments and apparrel...

Hoping that this poses enough of a health risk that your insurance covers whatever cosmetic procedure may be required to correct it...
I weighed almost 300 pounds before my surgery, and most of the weight was in my gut. So, I knew that extra skin was going to be an issue. My surgeon told me to exercise, exercise, and exercise more to help tighten the loose skin on my belly. And, I've been going to the gym since I've had surgery. I've done tons of research on the Internet and the majority of the sites say to exercise. There were some sites that said to buy certain skin creams and other things of that nature, but I wasn't going to waste my money, exercise seemed the best way to go. If it wasn't for the pain, I would just keep exercising and hope that it would tighten up. As far as coping with this condition, Ive just been dealing with it until I have my appointment with my doctor. I don't take pain medication so I'm not sure if it would help my situation or not. I have found that if I lie down, It takes the weight off, and it feels a little better... I hope this answers your question.
lesserman
on 4/10/12 12:39 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks, Jay...yes, it does.

I believe that I will be in the same boat, eventually.

Like you, almost all my weight is in my belly (while I am grateful for that because I likely won't have to contend with my lower body being wider than my upper body) I've read in any number of other posts that exercise (in my case walking and pushups will dominate my regimen) will only do so much to get rid of the excess skin.

Short of another surgical procedure (cosmetic or otherwise), constriction garments/apparrel seem to be the most common and readily-available option...

I'll be anxious to learn what you will have to pass along on this topic.

Thanks, again!
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Jay Cockerel
on 4/10/12 12:54 am - Leitchfield, KY
I'm going to start researching my insurance company's benefits to see if that type of procedure would be covered. From what I've read, if its medically necessary, the insurance company will cover it. So, that makes me hopeful. Of course, it depends on the type of insurance you have. I'm sure that you know the drill.

You mentioned constriction garments/apparel. Do you have any specific brand names of that type of clothing? Maybe I could try wearing that to help...
lesserman
on 4/10/12 2:19 am - Chicago, IL
 I sure do...I'm just about to go in for my first follow-up, but when I get home later today, I'll put the links in another reply...
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Jenci S.
on 4/9/12 4:11 am - Sacramento, CA
Hi Jay.  What kind of pain are we talking about?  Is it within your abdomen, is it a rash or irritation actually on the surface of your skin? 

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."  -Swedish Proverb

Jay Cockerel
on 4/9/12 6:52 am - Leitchfield, KY
There is no rash or anything on my skins surface. The best way I can describe the pain is its a little like that pain I used to get in my sides when I would run a lot as a kid. Except its in my belly below the navel. I hope thats a good enough description for you! I've been researching hernias. Im thinking that may be a possibility for me as well.
Jenci S.
on 4/9/12 7:55 am - Sacramento, CA
Well.  You know yourself best, and if it is bothering you, see your doctor, don't jump to conclusions about what it might or might not be, that will drive you nuts with worry.  See what your doc says, that is the best 1st step.  Keep us posted.  And I hope you feel better soon!

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."  -Swedish Proverb

Karen P.
on 4/9/12 7:16 am - CO
RNY on 02/13/12
Talk to you DR about panniculectomy. My insurance covers it if you are having problems with your extra skin. I would think it's that before jumping to the hernia.

http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1501 views