A new but old lurker . . . .

Turtle Lynn
on 4/16/12 9:37 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

. . .that'd be me. 

Hi everyone!  Though I've been an OH member for years, this is my first post.  I joined way back when (2006-2007 or so, I think) after I had been successful with my LapBand.  Not too long after that, I decided I was doing great, I had lost 100 lbs, kept it off for a year and was going for plastic surgery so I wouldn't need the forums anymore. 

Fast forward to today, and I've gained back 50 pounds with a failed (and empty) LapBand due to chronic, unrelenting reflux that developed after my plastic surgery 3 1/2 years ago.  I'm scheduled for a revision to RNY on June 19th.  So, I figured I might as well jump in now and say "hey" and get myself back in the habit of being on the boards and meeting other WLS peeps. 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Hislady
on 4/16/12 10:13 am - Vancouver, WA
Welcome, you certainly aren't the only one having to revise!! I think there are more revisions than actual surgeries anymore. Lots of surgeons won't even use bands anymore. I too am sitting around with an empty band hoping to avoid any more problems because I don'e have WLS coverage anymore. I wish you the very best on your revision and I know it'll get you back on track!
Turtle Lynn
on 4/17/12 12:15 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
Thank you very much for the welcome and well wishes! 

I'm sorry you're in this situation; having been there myself for the last few years, I totally get it. 

I didn't get revised sooner because my insurance at the time kept denying the revision.  They would pay for the band removal but not another WLS so I stuck it out until I got a new job with insurance that would cover both procedures!  Keep the faith, things have a funny way of working out if you don't give up!

I look forward to talking with you more!  :)

karianne
on 4/16/12 11:11 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hello and Welcome!!

I just had my band to bypass revision last week and couldn't be happier so your not alone!!  I was suprised when I started posting on the RNY board just how many there are of us!  Anyway welcome and congrats on getting approved for a revision, June will be here soon!! Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Turtle Lynn
on 4/17/12 12:23 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
Hi Kari,

Thanks for the welcome! 

Congrats on having your revision; I'm so glad to see you are happy with it, hearing that definitely helps!  Are you feeling okay?  Does it feel different from when you were banded as far as hunger or lack of?

My new surgeon, his partner and I had a conversation about how many failed Bands there are and even a  lot of sleeves.  Apparently a huge percentage of the bands are failing because of the reflux issue.  These guys prefer the RNY or DS as they say those two surgeries consistently show the best weight loss and keeping the weight off long-term results.  Plus, the RNY cures reflux and the DS essentially cures diabetes; you can't beat that as far as improving your health!  It is truly amazing how many people are getting revisions now!!!!

Thanks again, and I look forward to talking to you more!  :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1376 views