Topic for Support Group Need Ideas

mrschriscross
on 4/23/12 5:23 am - Oswego, NY
 Hi everyone, I am having trouble coming up with a topic for my support group tomorrow night. We have talked about exercise, the 7 steps to success, the emotions you go through post op. I have been very tired lately and asked the group what they would like to know about and I didn't really get any answers. I want to make sure that we touch on a topic each time even if it's just briefly for a few minutes as we tend to hear stories about peoples journey most of the time.  Can anyone help me with some good topics?
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Eggface
on 4/23/12 8:13 am - Sunny Southern, CA
How about a protein tasting party... a variety of protein drink and bar samples. That's always fun but might need more than a day notice to gather samples together. You could do a protein exchange too... everyone brings the stuff they hate and trades... one post-ops nasty gak is another's tasty treat ;)

A local plastic surgeon could be contacted for a post-op plastics discussion. Who knows they might have a free evening and hey its great for business.

You said you need exercise but maybe do a group yoga session, zumba class or some line dancing.

Hope you have a great group! Support is soooo important on this... no one understands this crazy rollercoaster like another WLS-er.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

poet_kelly
on 4/23/12 9:03 am - OH
Let's see, my support group has talked about dealing with head hunger, how WLS affects relationships, how we keep ourselves on track (or get back on track if we get off track), mental health issues related to WLS, body image, um.... those are all that are coming to mind at the moment.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/23/12 10:35 am - Burleson, TX

ANGELA-since you don't have much time..

Something I have used, when I needed to "pull something out, at the last minute", that has always gone over well:

Everyone gets 5-10 minutes to get acquainted with the person to their right. Then you go around the table/circle and get to introduce the person, to your right, that you just "got to know" and tell their story/brag on them/maybe show their "before pic" etc...I think most of us have a tendency to NOT want to brag on ourselves..or even SPEAK sometimes-esp if we are new to a group...This is a great "ice breaker", and can lead into a wonderful group discussion about self image, body dysmorphia, different surgery types, etc..

Are you an OH support group leader? If not-sign up! The training is painless-just a few hours, on the phone, and then you get lots of ideas--here on OH--and other topics, etc mailed to you--plus get lots of ideas, from other leaders-from all over the country..and learn how to get samples, from various vendors, to share with your group members..

My group's subject this week was on "Motivaandtion". I am a 10 yr post RNY. You know where I got my most inspiration this meeting? From a 19 yr old post sleever who is only 3 months out. The glow on her face and song in her heart inspired me to WANT to utilize my tool better this month-SHE motivated ME..

Pretty much whatever subject interests YOU will interest your MEMBERS too--we're all in this journey together..

Please share what topics y'all come up with!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

mrschriscross
on 4/24/12 12:24 am - Oswego, NY
 Where do I sign up for that?
Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

undergoingchange
on 4/24/12 1:02 am
We had a trainer talk to us at our last support group meeting.

What about recipe exchange? A tasting party (may need more advance notice).

Review the benefits of WLS? Maybe a nurse or nutritionist could come and talk to the group (asuming you are neither).

Have a nutritionist talk about the different food groups.  I am suprise how many people to not understand that butterbeans, peas, corn etc are starches.

That's all I can think or right now.

Hope it helps.  Good luck with your group.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1537 views