totally off-topic (non-political illegal alien ?)

wendy_fou
on 4/28/12 9:19 am - AR
i know what MOST people think here locally about this issue (at least those willing to publicly speak/post about i), but i was curious what would people from OUTSIDE arkansas think about this.
short version:
1) mexican woman comes to america illegally to work on a farm when her baby is 6 months old. said mexican woman abandons the little girl in america 3 1/2 years late (when said little girl is 4 years old). 
2) american family jumped through hoops to legally adopt the little girl (the mexican government never recognized the baby as a mexican citizen before her mother brought her to america, so that made it harder to legally adopt her) & were eventually successful in legally adopting her. 
3) her parents tried through the years to navigate between the mexican & american governments to get their daughter's birth certificate/papers etc with no luck
4) said 4 year old little girl was raised by her american family (successfully raised i might add since she is well-adjusted, well-liked, well-behaved, makes good grades) & was set to graduate high school in a couple of weeks & proceed to college.... UNTIL
5) immigration officials notified the girl (during her senior year when she was preparing for prom, graduation, college applications, etc) that she was going to be deported because she was turning 18 & was an illegal.  (apparently her legal adoption by an american family mean nothing since she has now turned 18.)  so they are now forcing her to leave the US.  she is, of course, terrified.  she knows nothing in mexico.  she has nothing there.  they literally want to just take her down there & put her out.
6) said girl left on a plane (with her mom - who states she is not sending her daughter to live & fend for herself in a country where she knows NO ONE, has NO ONE, etc.  so mom packed up & went too which is the same thing i wouldve done. her father died a coupla years back.)

now, as backwards as some arkansans are, MOST people in Arkansas think it is bat-crap-crazy that this girl is being deported.  i honestly cant believe this hasnt gotten national news since i think it deserves it.  so i just wanted to know if maybe people outside arkansas just dont care or feel differently. 

so what do YOU think?  i'm posting the links to the stories (there have been several here in arkansas) about this. 

the news stations have been calling her the girl with no country, but here name is kaiti tidwell.

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=534692
http://www.katv.com/story/17348074/girl-with-no-country-figh ts-to-stay-in-arkansas
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/04/03/18- and-undocumented-anywhere
http://www.facebook.com/groups/195033370612877/?ref=ts#!/gro ups/195033370612877/
Jackie McGee
on 4/28/12 10:14 am - PA
I think it's ridiculous and they should have issued the girl a U.S. birth certificate as soon as she was adopted by her new family.

Her mother did what any mother would have done, and hopefully things eventually get straightened out and they can come back - or hell, maybe their lives will end up a lot better in Mexico.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

wendy_fou
on 4/28/12 11:14 am - AR
i just hope SOMEONE SOMEWHERE in ONE of the 2 governments has some common sense and does SOMETHING, ANYTHING really to let kaiti come home (legally)
k9ophile
on 4/29/12 5:27 am
On April 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, wendy_fou wrote:
i just hope SOMEONE SOMEWHERE in ONE of the 2 governments has some common sense and does SOMETHING, ANYTHING really to let kaiti come home (legally)
Why not hope that there will be world peace and an end to global warming.  Or an end to children going to bed hungry with poor housing and medical care?  There's a better chance of having those issues solved than there is of finding someone in government with common sense. 

Now that I've turned off the sarcasm font...  There is a lot of stupid in the world; religion and government are responsible for most of it.  

As for the stupid on this forum about what can be posted where, there was a lot of zealous stupidity behind that as well. 

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/29/12 9:45 am
On April 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, k9ophile wrote:
On April 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM Pacific Time, wendy_fou wrote:
Why not hope that there will be world peace and an end to global warming.  Or an end to children going to bed hungry with poor housing and medical care?  There's a better chance of having those issues solved than there is of finding someone in government with common sense. 

Now that I've turned off the sarcasm font...  There is a lot of stupid in the world; religion and government are responsible for most of it.  

As for the stupid on this forum about what can be posted where, there was a lot of zealous stupidity behind that as well. 
 I think I will respond to this in a new thread. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Valerie G.
on 4/28/12 10:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Uhhh, I agree.  With American adoptive parents, that child is American.  At the very least as a compromise, she should be given ample time to become Naturalized if they insist on such rhetoric before deporting her, but I totally call bull****

It kind of scares me about the parents who go overseas to adopt children in China, Russia, etc.  What's to become of their children when they become adults?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

wendy_fou
on 4/28/12 11:14 am - AR
i was wondering about that too - but in those cases those children are probably in state-run orphanages & have their "papers"
edelu
on 4/28/12 2:37 pm, edited 4/28/12 2:39 pm - los angeles, CA
That's it exactly.  for a legal adoption you need a birth cert.  Children adopted from abroad have to have their papers, once adopted they become naturalized.  This is a horrible situation.
poet_kelly
on 4/28/12 10:29 am - OH
Of course, that's crazy.  If I understand correctly, immigration laws are basically supposed to keep people from coming into this country when they aren't supposed to be here and getting jobs they aren't legally able to get and stuff like that.  If an American court OK'd the adoption of this girl, then she was supposed to be  here.  Obviously the court wasn't expecting that the parents would adopt her and then ship her off the Mexico.  And if she was under 18, then legally she is supposed to live with her parents, who lived here in America (the adoptive parents, I mean).  There is no reason to deport her and it would be unusually cruel to deport a person to a country where they have never been, know no one, and in some cases don't even speak the language.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendy_fou
on 4/28/12 11:15 am - AR
i dont even know if she speaks spanish :S