Home Recovery...bed or chair?

lamp35
on 5/5/12 2:41 am
As I start to plan for my recovery ( approx mid-Aug op date) Im wondering what is going to be most comfortable for me at home.

My bed sits pretty high off the floor, getting out might be easy, but I worry about climbing UP on it.

Im wondering if renting a recliner from a furniture rental store for one mth might be a better option.
dixiekiwi
on 5/5/12 2:46 am - Lexington, SC
VSG on 04/05/12
 I am in the same situation as you with the high bed, but that didn't bother me.  The bed was uncomfortable because I am not a back sleeper and there wasn't enough pillows to get me comfortable for the first 5 days post-op.  The recliner was my favorite spot.  After the 5 days, I was able to prop up enough in the bed to be comfortable.  Within 10 days I was back to sleeping on my side/stomach and all was well.
kirmy
on 5/5/12 2:46 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Go the recliner!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
lamp35
on 5/5/12 3:00 am
Thanks ladies!

Im a die-hard side sleeper who likes to curl up with my body pillow. But that position was SO uncomfortable after my c-section .

That said, Ive been known to nap very comfortably in a recliner when at my Mom's house, so I think Im going to look into renting one for recovery.
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/12 3:15 am - WA
I really had the best of both worlds when I had mine. i had a couch that had a recliner on the end. So i had the comfort of a recliner but I could turn myself onto my side and still be reclined. It was perfect. The bed was uncomfortable for me too because it was hard to get up and sleep on my back.
Jenna V.
on 5/5/12 3:22 am - Guelph, Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
I DEFINITELY recommend the recliner! I slept in my recliner for a good month or so after surgery.

I am a side sleeper and the recliner forced me to sleep on my back and let my incisions heal!

debbie13
on 5/5/12 3:57 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Definitely go for the recliner, you are probably only going to need it for a week or two. The problem with a bed is not so much the getting in, its the sitting up to get out. Those tummy muscles that you need to do that are going to be really sore. Make sure that the first time you try to lay down in the bed, someone is home in case you get stuck. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

southernlady5464
on 5/5/12 4:43 am
I had the recliner option, I preferred my bed. Not common but it was where I preferred to be.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Nee000
on 5/5/12 6:03 am - MI
My recliner was my saving grace.  I have a high bed also and although I didn't have a problem getting in or out, I was only able to sleep for short periods in my bed.
MsBatt
on 5/5/12 1:17 pm
I borrowed a recliner, and couldn't use it.

I'm VERY short, and the recliner was one that needed me to push the footrest down with my lower legs---and I just couldn't do it. However, I slept very comfortably in my very own bed the night I came home from the hospital.

A couple of days later, my neightbor loaned me an electic lift chair/recliner. THAT was wonderful---because it helped me get up, instead of needing my help. (*grin*)

If you're going to rent one, rent a lift chair. Especially if you're short, very fat, and are having an 'open' surgery. (*grin*)