cymbalta after RNY

wendy_fou
on 5/13/12 3:57 am - AR
my DR has put me on cymbalta for my GAD (generalized anxiety disorder).  its the latest in a long line of anxiety meds ive tried that will work w/out so many side effects.

i read that it can cause ulcers.  but DR seemed to think it wouldnt be problem even w/ my RNY.  have yall heard differently?

also, ive only been on it 2 days, but noticed an almost IMMEDIATE relief of anxiety symptoms which continued today.  i did notice i was a little more tired, but its definitely more managable than the others ive been on before.

but.... did it make any of you feel a little "high"?  thats the only way i can describe it. 

i know it is also prescribed for depression, but i am not depressed.  so maybe since im starting out "normal" instead of depressed, it is elevating my mood even though i dont need it elevated?

i mean, its not terrible, but it is a little disconcerting to feel high.  LOL
poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 4:02 am - OH
I tried it for depression, but that was before my RNY.  It didn't help.  It didn't make me feel high, it just didn't seem to do anything for me.

Perhaps you can ask your surgeon about the risk of ulcers with it.

The tiredness and high feeling may go away after a few days as your body adjusts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 5/14/12 2:01 am
I take Cymbalta, and I have been on it for almost 2 years (I am about 3 1/2 years post op). 

It works well, but not as well as what I was taking before which was a combination of Wellbutrin and Prozac.

If it's helping, I would definately continue it.  I have never heard of it causing ulcers, and since one of the reasons I had my mutated RnY was because of chronic non-healing ulcers and what they did to my pyloric valve I think they would have clued me in if ulcers were a side effect.

Oh, and don't get too used to the "high" effect - it wears off within a couple days=)

Best of luck to you in your journey.
Cindy22706
on 5/14/12 11:48 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12

Just thought I would chime in- It can improve your mood, so thats probably why your mood is better. I take it for fibromyalgia, plus I am super *****y, so the mood elevation is a bonus!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1370 views