Peolple Trying to rain on my parade

crw4bama
on 5/13/12 7:55 am - Chattanooga , TN
RNY on 06/13/12
Ok just a rant here and wanting oppinions. I made the announcement to my friends and family about having the wls and I get are you sure and tells of people they know or have heard of that has had bad problems after surgery. Do they think we are going in this blind or that we have not researched this. i got asked the question from my brother am I doing it for health or looks. Health is the main reason, but looks also play a factor, I am so tired of eating out and people staring at the fat woman and judging what they see me eat, I have such a low self esteem because of my weight. I also do not want to die at a young age whicj is where I am headed at 279 with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I also would like to see my kids grow up and see my grandson grow up and any future grandchildren grow up.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/13/12 8:16 am
I was diabetic and had high cholesterol.  I have arthritis in my knees,  one which was giving out.  I was telling my SIL who had surgery in 1/2009 that I was going to have it too.  She is married to my brother who is also diabetic (on two types of insulin), weighs 400 lbs. and needs a hip replacement.  When she told him he told me he is too afraid to die by having the surgery.  I told him I am too afraid to die from diabetes. 

I don't  get it.  His wife had no complications from thesurgery.  Either did I.  I walked out of the hospital 2 days after surgery off all diabetic meds.  I am also off my cholesterol meds too.

Hang in there.

Winnie

MsBatt
on 5/13/12 8:24 am
People who have never been morbidly obese just don't get it---they can't. And sadly, even some people who are MO are ignorant about ot prejudiced against WLS. And---some people are just scared for us.

Surgery, any surgery, from a tonsilectomy on up to a cardiac bypass, IS dangerous. We know that. And pretty much any surgery we elect to have, someone's going to tell us horror tales about.(People have died from having their tonsils out---heck, people have died from have teeth pulled!)

Don't let them get to you. I went into my DS with high cholesterol, high BP, and diabetes looming over me---it runs in both side of my family. Now, 8 years later, I'm 170 pounds lighter, not diabetic, taking no meds, and my cholesterol is 112. (And I eat bacon every day. *grin*)
BellaSaid35
on 5/13/12 8:36 am
 You have a future perspective on e surgery. Those around only have an immediate perspective- they want you to be safe and not have any complications. Just be patient and know you are making a really good life choice. 

Rny 2.14.12

comeundone
on 5/13/12 1:19 pm - OH
I told people I want to meet my grandchildren...not have them named in my honor. It shut them up.
HW 289  SW 242

qnmimi
on 5/13/12 2:00 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
The reasons for surgery are so personal to each of us, but YOU are the one who gets to decide, not your family. Sounds like you've got enough reason to want to be as healthy as you can!

ronniesnana
on 5/14/12 3:30 am
Dont  listen to what anyone says. They dont get it. They are not in our shoes. I am also tired of what people think and say. I am doing this for my health. I am self pay which will cost me 18,000 and I dont care, I just bought a new car for 30,000 and someone said well at least you will have that for a long time well what about my health ? I will have that forever. what a dumb comment for her to say. Good luck and dont give up.
Most Active