The Easy Way Out. So!?

Miss Redd
on 5/22/12 1:51 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
The Easy Way Out:

Before I go too far into my discourse, let me say that I do not believe for one moment that having weight loss surgery or losing weight in ANY form is easy. Weight loss surgery, by far-is the most harrowing and life changing event I can think of at the moment. Easy-it will never be.

With that said, why is it ...that in the media and society as a whole- that the idea of weight loss being "the easy way out" is so scandalous? This statement has long confused me.

When has finding an easier way of doing something been something to look down your nose at? When they came up with sliced bread, did people say "OH NOooOOOoo-I am not eating that stuff. That is just too easy not to have to slice that bread!"

Or how about the advent of the automobile? Why, all those folks were lauded!! Would you just look at that fabulous person who found a way for the rest of us to move about from point A to point B in an easier fashion?? He is a saint and a genius!

So, just for fun-let's pretend that having weight loss surgery WAS the easy way out. So?! So what?! I just cannot figure out where in the world that became some sort of sinful thing.

Next time someone says anything to me about the easy way out, I am going to smile sweetly at them and gently pry their cellphones out their little hands and put it in my pocket. "There..there..my dear-I know you wouldn't want to take the easy way out on communications".

Pre Surgery 383 Surgery 359 Current 180

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

poet_kelly
on 5/22/12 1:58 am - OH
I agree with you.  WLS hasn't been easy for me, but it has been much easier than losing weight with diet and exercise ever was.   And so what?  I don't think we get bonus points for doing things the hard way.  In fact, in most areas of life, people that purposely do things the hardest way they can are considered a little less than bright.

I heat food in my microwave.  It's easier than cooking over an open fire.  I use a washing machine.  It's easier than hauling my laundry down to the creek and scrubbing it on a washboard.  I take a shower.  It's easier than heating water over an open fire and bathing in a big old washtub.  I buy clothes at the store.  It's easier than sewing my own.  I buy milk.  It's easier than raising my own dairy cow.  

So yes, I found the method of losing weight that would be easiest and most effective for me.  So?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Miss Redd
on 5/22/12 2:01 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
On May 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
I agree with you.  WLS hasn't been easy for me, but it has been much easier than losing weight with diet and exercise ever was.   And so what?  I don't think we get bonus points for doing things the hard way.  In fact, in most areas of life, people that purposely do things the hardest way they can are considered a little less than bright.

I heat food in my microwave.  It's easier than cooking over an open fire.  I use a washing machine.  It's easier than hauling my laundry down to the creek and scrubbing it on a washboard.  I take a shower.  It's easier than heating water over an open fire and bathing in a big old washtub.  I buy clothes at the store.  It's easier than sewing my own.  I buy milk.  It's easier than raising my own dairy cow.  

So yes, I found the method of losing weight that would be easiest and most effective for me.  So?
This: " In fact, in most areas of life, people that purposely do things the hardest way they can are considered a little less than bright."

LOL! So true!

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

Mike R.
on 5/22/12 2:25 am - Warner Robins, GA
Let's look at the motivation for the comment "you took the easy way out".  If one is supportive of another's success, one would not try to degrade the accomplishment by the comment in the first place.  Secondly, some who have self-esteem issues of their own can only be happy when others are misarable.  So, the motivation of the comment is to make THEMSELVES feel better.

I love the cellphone comeback.  I'm going to use it the next time I hear the comment.

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

paranoidmother21
on 5/22/12 3:06 am - Lake Zurich, IL
It's also fun to take their car keys, especially if they have a long commute, and ask about how they're going to get home without taking "the easy way out."

Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Miss Redd
on 5/22/12 5:04 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply! Your analysis is spot on! I totally agree!

Peace,
T

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

Cinn
on 5/22/12 2:56 am - MI
It makes as much sense as me telling a friend who had an epidural during labor that she was lazy, stupid, less-than-par for taking the 'easy' way out instead of having NOTHING like I did.

Hmmm.

Miss Redd
on 5/22/12 5:05 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom
That's the thing--it seems so unreasonable. And yet-this is something I still hear often!!

Peace,
T

NEW YOUTUBE Channel!

Feralgirl
on 5/22/12 3:09 am - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
I once read a quote that will always echo true anytime someone says "X is the easy way out".

Being FAT is hard.
Losing WEIGHT is hard.
Keeping FIT is hard.
CHOOSE YOUR 'HARD'.

IMHO the only easy way out is giving up, or saying ' I can't'.
Jilly Bean
on 5/22/12 4:46 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
On May 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Pacific Time, Feralgirl wrote:
I once read a quote that will always echo true anytime someone says "X is the easy way out".

Being FAT is hard.
Losing WEIGHT is hard.
Keeping FIT is hard.
CHOOSE YOUR 'HARD'.

IMHO the only easy way out is giving up, or saying ' I can't'.
 Awesome!

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active