STOP....Don't Do It!

A. Me
on 5/27/12 3:21 am
RNY on 04/05/10 with
Did this subject catch your eye?  I haven't posted in a couple years,   I am 2 years post-op gastric bypass and have maintained 150 lb weight loss and weigh 145 lbs.  This is a reality check for those who are struggling.   STOP DONT DO IT is an honest statement if your not working on your mental health.  This surgery, all of these types of surgery are ONLY TOOLS!!!!   You have to work on yourself, why are you the way you are right now?  Am I perfect absolutely not!~  It is a lot of hard work, dedication and persistence!!!!!   This is not an easy fix!!!  It takes work.... But what is good... anyone can do it if s/he puts their mind to it!..... You have one life to live right here, what way do you want to do it?   It took me 3 years before I decided to actually go through the procedure, during those 3 years, I worked on my mind..... a total body makeover if you will.... That is what will make you a success!!!!!  Stop with the excuses.... Get help! Get support, Get motivated and Get Love for yourself!!!!    ~  Thanks  Tina

FaithHopeGirl
on 5/27/12 5:16 am

thank you for your post. I have been contemplating surgery for over a year now. i know it is a lot of hard work. i have seen a lot of people go through the process. i am ready to have surgery now but going through the insurance acceptance phase. Thanks again for the encouragement. darla

roxyrocks808
on 5/27/12 5:40 am, edited 5/27/12 5:40 am - Waialua, HI
VSG on 05/30/12
Hi Tina,

thank you for this post and YES it caught my eye. I am having surgery on Wednesday and I just changed my GB to sleeve and I am happy to move forward. I've been waiting over a year to get through the program. I am ready! Can't wait. I know it will be hard work but I am up for it. Great job on your own success I sure hope I can do the same. I am sure going to give it my all.
Roxy

SueBee01
on 5/27/12 5:59 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Great post Tina. This is true for any WLS.
 Sue

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 11:08 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Great post. Congratulations on your loss and maintaining
Valerie G.
on 5/27/12 11:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Great advice!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

juleskar
on 5/27/12 1:07 pm
I am making an appt to see my therapist on Tuesday. Thanks for the advice!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 10:03 pm, edited 5/27/12 10:04 pm
I agree with you Tina to a certain degree .  But not all of us are capable or self aware  enough to seek out therapy pre op ( though probably most of us , like most of the general population could USE therapy to significantly better our quality of life )

Also its not something some of us have the option to afford time-wise, money-wise , or emotional vulnerability -wise .

I know that in the years preceding my WLS I was basically hanging on by a thread emotionally .  My life was THAT miserable .  I think had someone required me to get therapy in order to get bariatric surgery that it simply never would have happened .

As it was because of my depression and feelings of hopelessness ( which I was ground DOWN into after a lifetime of failure at losing weight  through herculean dieting and exercise efforts ...) it was EXTREMELY hard just to travel to and attend  the tons of appointments required preop .

I'm so glad I did it !

Now a few years and 100 lbs later I can CONSIDER therapy .  I'm still not sure its the right thing to put my  focus on negativity or the past  though when what I really think I need is to live a rich , fulfilling life NOW and heal those wounds by creating the opposite .

A. Me
on 5/28/12 12:06 am
RNY on 04/05/10 with
meeow2,

You mention some wonderful points of self-exploration.  That is only what my post was meant for.  Less than 24 hrs and this post received 317 views and 7 responses respectively.  That tells me that there are many individuals out there working on themselves and this is a wonderful thing!  This is a self-help peer support/recovery group that allows us to pick and choose what pertains to us and what will help us in our own journey.  When you read the post this many or may not pertain to you. How much does this cost? 

I am not saying this is the case for you and I am speaking in general... the definition of therapy is varied from one to another.  And to just consider a thought, if you will, when I hear one speak that they are not sure therapy is the right thing  to do to put my focus on negativity or the past...   I would like to add another thought to consider.... Why do we take history in school?  I hated history, couldn't stand it and fact struggled through it every year in summer school because my resistance was so great.  But, when a wise man once told me, Tina, exporing history is a very important thing for our future leaders to know, for if we don't know our history we are doomed to repeat the past!  This is my interpretation of therapy for ourselves in relation to our own journey, for if we are not aware of what helped us get here what is stopping us from returning? 

No doubt each post on here is not for everybody, that's why this is a self-help.... take what helps and leave the rest! 

Another thing that I would like to point out is we ourselves are our own barrier to change and success....  You stated, "But not all of us are capable or self aware enough to seek out therapy pre op" and I would like to add to this.  This is what this self-help website is for, it's free, it has a ton of "point of views" if you will and the best thing is, it is you who gets to decide what post you want to use or explore..... As you can see there were a few responses that seemed to like what I said and took the advice, it does not mean you have to.  You have control overyourself no one can control you unless you let them.  But I must disagree with one point respectfully in my point of view, every single person is capable of anything if s/he believes, if s/he conceives, s/he can achieve!

Thank you for sharing another point of view and I do hope that this response provokes further thought in others...(again, if not, the wonderful thing is you can click off and move on :-) ).  

Best wishes on your own journey, whatever way that may be :-)

Kristi K.
on 5/28/12 11:43 pm - Green Lane, PA
Tina,
What an absolutely true post with some excellent advice! I had rny 3 1/2 years ago and lost 125 lbs (within 20 lbs of a "normal" bmi-but both my surgeon and I were happy with it)  However, in the past 2 years weight crept back on, and I ended up gaining 30 of those hard-won pounds back.
I went through a long bout of depression, thinking-"here it comes, I am going to fail at this weight loss like I failed every other time I dieted." I only then truly grasped the concept of this surgery being just the tool to help us on our journey. I decided to NOT fail this time and implemented various things in my life to help me. A good friend listens to my fears and rants and helps me realize that I am not a failure at this! Although I hated it at first, I started exercising seriously about 6 months after surgery and had never given that up-and that helps incredibly. I now can honestly say that I enjoy it and get cranky when I miss a day at the gym! I also attend 2 support groups every month and a weekly weigh in for accountability. 
I have lost 20 of those 30 pounds and it has taken hard work and much personal reflection. I know that the battle with regain will never be over-it's a lifetime commitment but a commitment that is sooo worth it! Thanks again for your post-hopefully it will help put some perspective on wls for those who are considering it! 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1475 views