Serequel and weight gaing/cravings

bbwvixen
on 5/27/12 6:21 am - Surrey, Canada
I've been on Serequel a year now (100 mg) and had no problems, but I've gained 10 lbs lately and wondering if it's normal to gain a year later? I know it is a side effect, but a year later????
I also have very bad sugar and carb cravings, which I've hard is a side effect too?

SueBee01
on 5/27/12 6:24 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
If you haven't changed your eating habits, then you may want to ask your dr to see if you can try something different.

Make sure you are really watching everything you are eating and your exercise to make sure.

Hope you can fix this soon.
 Sue

Dave Chambers
on 5/27/12 12:22 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Seroquel can have wt gain as a side effect, BUT, you said you've used it a year and only gained weight recently. Honestly, if wt gain was causing you wt gain, it's likely you would have noted wt gain the first month or two after your initial usage. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

juleskar
on 5/27/12 1:10 pm
I agree with Dave. I take 200 mgs each night and have been for approx 3 years. I've had no problems with the meds.
EliseG
on 5/27/12 4:01 pm - MA
From what I understand, seroquel causes weight gain because it makes us hungry. Some studies have shown a side effect of the seroquel being insulin resistance, thus our cravings for food or carbs. I think this can happen at any point, not just when you first start it.
I also take 100mg at night to get to sleep, along with a few other sleep meds. I know that after I take it I will be hungry if I don't get to sleep soon after. I usually don't get to sleep very soon after, so since surgery (I'm still a newb obv) I've had to do one of two things. Either, leave a calorie deficit throughout the day so that I can have a small late night snack, like a piece of cheese, or find a way to not snack. Some days I do the first one, some days I do the other. Brushing my teeth seems to help me most of the time, because I don't like the taste of food after brushing.
I would also ask your doc if he thinks it's normal, and if it's really causing trouble maybe see what other options there are. Good luck!

boxermom
on 5/27/12 11:45 pm - MI
doesn't matter, as long as you're concerned, talked to your Dr.  Ask him to change it.  Most cases he will.  He wants you to be mentally and physically happy.  sometimes a change is good physiologically too.  call him tomorrow.  the sooner the better as there are numerous products on the market he can use.

p.s.  don't lie to him, if you aren't following post op rules, changing wont help...maybe he can add topomax...and that's if your condition calls for that type of treatment.

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Most Active