Anemia 4 years post op - Not Vitamin Deficient

noja
on 6/7/12 3:09 am - Hermansville, MI
I'm 4 years post op and just found out that i'm severely anemic.  All my other levels are within normal range but my hemoglobin level took a severe plunge since last year.  They are running test after test and finding nothing.  Has anyone else had this problem?

noja
on 6/7/12 3:10 am - Hermansville, MI
P.S. I've also gained back over 20 pounds this year :(  I need to really get my weight back on track.  Depressed all the way around.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/12 3:52 am
Low iron.   I get iron infusions for that.
Or copper may be low. Or low B12....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Neen L.
on 6/7/12 3:55 am - Arlington, VA
Sluggishness and depression are common side effects of anemia. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's hard to keep the weight off when you feel exhausted all the time.

I was about 5 years post-op when I became severely anemic. My B-12 plummeted along with it, so I was in nasty shape. When iron pills failed to correct the problem, I started getting monthly infusions of venofer (ferrous sucrose). After about a year and a half of those, I stabilized at normal, healthy levels. I am now able to control the problem with an iron-rich diet.

You'll be alright; fortunately anemia is very treatable. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. Cheers!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

noja
on 6/7/12 4:20 am - Hermansville, MI
My B-12 is normal along with all my other levels.  They suspect a bleed, but can't find one.  They are talking about bone marrow biopsies, connective tissue disease, leukemia and other bone marrow disorders.  It's really one big mystery right now.

Dragonryder2
on 6/7/12 4:48 am - NM
I'm at 4 yrs. right now and going through the same thing.

I am taking Proferrin ES and hoping it solves the problem.

My B12 is high so I know it isn't that.  My doc wanted to run a bunch of tests, too, but I'm going to try to get my Iron up with the Proferrin.  Will know in two weeks when I get my next blood test.  I don't expect it to be normal, but I would like to see it climbing in the right direction.

Good luck with your problem,  keep us posted on what they find with you.
Elisa K.
on 6/7/12 11:32 am - Lumberton, NJ

Yup!  I am runner, and began hard core training in January for my spring races.  I noticed my times were really terrible, and I wasn't getting any faster.  Went and had my blood work done, and found out my ferritin level was a 3.  My PCP is giving me three months to bring it up (he's not too keen on infusions).  He wanted me to take a Slow Fe with a Vit C, three times a day.  I added a Proferrin, for good measure.  I do think my levels are up - I have been running faster, and have more stamina.  I get my blood work done at the end of June.  Hopefully things are on the rise!

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you!! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/12 11:23 pm
 some  people here don't like  my easily found solution -  but I think it WORKS .

Take ferro-sequels ( found in  any drugstore ) - and eat KALE and fresh SPINACH.

People  HERE recommend  Vitalady's  easy-Iron supplements .

I'm not big on mail order  but carbonyl iron sounds interesting . 
Most Active